Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Herd. Protect. Love.

Default Puppy Elbows

How early can you get useful information from an x-ray on elbows. I've got a pup that I want to get this checked as early as possible because although he isn't allowed to do hard playing, I keep him from jumping, steps, etc - he IS a BC and plays pretty hard on his own and OCD (elbow displaysia) pops up every so often in his lines.

If it's going to help, I will have him checked at six months.

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

Any history in his background ??? Why is he resticted now ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Herd. Protect. Love.

I'm really careful with all my pups. I've had him since he was seven weeks and have always made sure he doesn't do anything to stress his joints.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Water Junkie

Becca, if you don't mind answering, how often does elbow displaysia pop up in Ted's lines? He's a TweedXBess pup, right?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Water Junkie

Sam I mean, NOT Ted!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Herd. Protect. Love.

I've seen some elbows in a particular line that Sam goes back to on both sides. You can e-mail me privately if you want some specifics.

There's no perfect lines - maybe someday we'll have genetic tests so we know exactly what we are dealing with on current bugaboos (including much worse ones like early onset deafness and epilepsy) - but right now you sort of have to pick the devil you know. The line in question here, for instance, even if we were 100% sure that elbow issues were coming from that breeding, no way would we throw that out.

I've always wanted a dog with this kind of breeding, and I always knew I'd be keeping an eyeball on the elbows of any such pup.

From what I've seen, genetics are only a teeny piece of elbow issues, so with all my pups I've tried to stack the deck in their favor - which is also a good idea for the sake of other joints, spine, and soft tissue.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Water Junkie

I hope you didn't read my post as trying to bash your pup's lines. Quite the opposite! I very much like his sire/dam, I was even considering a pup out of those two when I was looking for a pup. But they weren't doing any breedings out of those two then, but it was fine because the lines I did get my BC out of were good

I very much trust/respect your pup's breeder. They are my dog's breeder, too.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Herd. Protect. Love.

Who's the parents of your pup? I really, really really wanted a pup from that female David was running but she's with a different owner now. But when I heard about this, I couldn't resist. Go ahead and email me (my email should be on the BC Boards if it's not current here, but I think it is) and I'll give you the whole scoop.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Water Junkie

My pup (well 16 months old now lol) is out of Henry's McCloud and Gordie Cline's Minnie. He was purchased/lived with (for a couple weeks) the Henry's, though.

Who was the female? The old(er) Meg?

I PMed you.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Herd. Protect. Love.

I remember now - Britt was the name. I saw a pup from her (well 18 mo) at a clinic last year, plus another older male bred by the Henrys from different lines, and said to myself, "Wow, they breed my kinda dog!"