Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Do they not chew it? I am having a hard time imagining how I'd put a bag around the bottom tray of her cage without her being able to get to it and eat it. She likes to eat anything/everything.
Sometimes he would pull the edge up through the bottom of the cage (the pan is on slides under the cage). As long as I made sure nothing was sticking up, he couldn't get to it, tho.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I use vinegar to clean Izzy's cage (and a lot of other things around the house too).
I just got a Ferret Nation cage Monday... and I am IN LOVE with it I know its sad to say your in love with a cage.... but....
I had a superpet something cage, and I really liked it at first, but after a while it was SO hard to clean. I love the doors on the FN cage mostly! Very easy to reach everything to clean.
I've seen some caged on line where the people cut linoleum (sp?) or tile to match the levels and used them instead of the trays. They could just slide them out and clean, or swap, or whatever. I'm thinking about doing this because two of the trays are warped (Izzy doesn't seem to care, though).
If you keep your eyes open you can get one pretty cheap. I have a 142 I think its called? I big one. I got it off of craigslist for $140. And the funny thing is the night before I saw the add I was this close to getting one from petsmart for like $230 or something.

It would've been worth it, though

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Taxiderpy

For chinchilla urine hydrogen peroxide works the best. It fizzes and dissolves the sticky caked on stuff that gets on the bars. If she is spraying through the bars and it dries on there, that is a big smell source for these guys.

It's nice because it reacts with the ammonia to produce oxygen and water. Totally harmless.

We used it on Iris' wooden cage for the 14 years we had her (she was 5 when we got her). The urine would otherwise soak into the wood and it would stink, saturating with hp would get it smelling piney fresh again. The same cage for 14 years and it never stank. I had as many as 24 chins at one point in one room and everybody that came in always commented on how piney fresh it smelled, not like animals.