Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I heard from a very good person in her state today, who also knows another person who will help her as well. I have sent the email to her, so I am sure she will make contact.

Young people are the future of our sport, and this kid is well spoken in email, and has done her homework learning about the breed.

If she wants to, she will be able to go to dog shows with these folks and learn from the ground up, and she will be invited to come visit and see their dogs as well.

If the kid is willing to slow down a bit about getting a dog, I think this will work out great for her.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Red have I ever told you how fantastically amazing you are? Seriously. A lot of breeders would have completely pushed her aside, but you gave her direction. I hope we'll one day see her in the show ring with an amazing dog by her side.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM
:( only one :(

I agree, Skittle! I've been touched by reading your post about this girl, red. You can tell even though you had to make this decision, its not been an easy one to make. I hope this girl listens to you and takes your advice. If so she'll be a great advocate for the breed.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Kudos - I've gotten snubbed by a Dane breeder and I was married, working, we had our own place, already had one dane... but I was 22 at the time
Glad you are pointing her in the right direction.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Show Dog

I signed on to a puppy as the Owner when I was 16. The breeder is a co owner. and my parents going on was not even brought up. I do spend a significant amount of time working with my breeder and such. But she is my dog.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM
tessa_s212

I was a minor when I got Marq. Parents had to sign contract, but I was legal owner, breeder is still co-owner. If there are parents involved and willing to take a dog into their home for life, and the minor sounds responsible enough and is looking into showing, I don't see any need for hesitation. I understood that my parents had to be willing to keep Marq for life in case I was not financially stable enough to take him once I left home, my parents understood this and agreed, and so long as that is in agreement and the parents ALSO fill out questionnaire and "pass".. well, with encouragement you've just helped one more young person become a responsible dog owner.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Agility freak!

Had I bought from a breeder, for my border collie puppy, my parents would have had to sign, and were willing, but the breeder talked to me, and both that I talked to really gave me a lot of information, told me who was close and could help me, what I may be able to do to get more involved in herding bred BC's, etc, and let me tell you, I'll ALWAYS remember those breeders in my life as I keep having border collies because they didn't just shut me down, they helped me out, and were even offering to sell pups to me after talking to me.

I, however, said straight from the start that I was 16. I like to be upfront and have people by the end questioning if I'm actually 16 rather then an e-mail that leaves them wondering how old I am, thinking I'm young.

Good for you. I'm glad you talked to her like you did, and sent her on her way to someone who can work with her.

I know if my parents wern't against Rotties, I'd love one of yours! (Dad has this weird thing for Dobes, pits, and GSDs, and just doesn't like 'em, other then our two GSDs)

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 PM
RedyreRottweilers

You also have to remember this is a Rottweiler. Quite different from most sporting or herding breeds in temperament and amount of liability that goes with owning one.

There are cases where I would work with a young person who had supportive parents, such as a Jr. handler, etc. In this case tho, I just did not get the impression at all that the parents were on board.

I am not comfortable taking this sort of risk when placing a Rottweiler, so that's why I felt she would be best with a mentor nearby her who can help hands on.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Puppy Dog

I bought my first registered Doberman when I was 17. I followed through with showing him at matches, taking him to obedience class, showing him at some real shows (he didn't really end up being show quality), and put one leg of his CD on him. And believe me, I tried for the others!

Certainly, it was a learning experience and here I am now 28 years later still with some dogs from the same initial bloodlines, still showing, still training, still doing obedience trials, etc.

My initial breeder was right in my home town so I was able to go over for lessons in grooming, stacking and filling out a show entry, etc. I'm really fortunate that they mentored us along, met up with us at shows, etc. My first 5 Dobermans came from them over the years. I'm still friendly with them to this day although I've gone in a different direction with breeding.

All that said, I would also be very hesitant to get involved in selling to someone that age. Getting them hooked up with someone geographically closer to them was a good idea. It is a time when they really need hands on help. That would be the best way of making them successful, IMO.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
I was a minor when I got Marq. Parents had to sign contract, but I was legal owner.
Same here. I purchased Blaze when I was 15. My parents signed the contract, but I am the legal owner via my name on registration papers.

I was extremely fortunate. I also told the breeder upfront in my first email how old I was. I think that is the only right thing to do if you're younger. I also had a mentor -that his breeder knew- that I could go to for anything if I needed help or advice.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l