Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-11-2009, 08:01 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
My heavy metal can has a lid that can only be opened by stepping on a pedal. My dog nor cat have figured it oug.
Yeah, ours has a foot pedal, too. And although he hasn't figured out how to push the pedal to open it, he has learned to slide a paw between the can and the lid and open it that way.

As I said to somebody else earlier, I'm sure if this was ANY other cat that it would work just fine. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Glad you got some ideas! I have heard of squirting canned air toward them when they are doing something you don't want them doing.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM
woop

I had/have similar cat problems. We're making major progress on jumping on the counters finally after diligently cleaning the kitchen every single time we used it. Everything has to be put away or it will be eaten and spewed all over the place. God forbid anyone left a box of cereal out, there would be a hole munched right through it and cereal would be everywhere. My cat is like yours where he'd jump off when he saw one of us coming, or he'd just wait until we left to start his mischief like when we go to work or go to bed. So before we leave him, we'll clean up anything he will eat, wash the kitchen (yes, scrub the counters every time we leave the apartment) and toss kibble all over the floor.

It's an awful lot of work, but it's become a habit and it keeps him off for the most part as it's no longer interesting up there. Though if he sees us put anything on the counter (could be a wallet, or keys), he will go up to investigate. So counters must stay CLEARED at all times.

He also would scream and yowl like a madman at feeding time. I actually made a post about this a while ago and since then have had success. I'd basically just put his food away and sit down every time he made a sound then try feeding him again in 5 minutes. If I was short on time and didn't have an hour to train my cat to shush, I'd put him in a closet or bathroom where he couldn't see me, put his food out and then release him.

Good luck with your demon. These felines are a handful...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Puppy Dog

for getting him tired how about Laser light or just a plain flashlight? Missy loves chasing light. We had one food hound years ago, Tigger was a definite hoover, would vacuum down any food in sight. When we ate we had to put him in the bathroom. (large room litterbox and had a window) Unfortunately he appeared claustrophobic, removed the wall paper off the door in part, looked so shaggy we then pulled off the remainder.

How old is he, as I dont know... is he older and new behavior maybe some dementia?

When he was young we came home once later then usual feeling guilty to find no one looking for food and everyone had taut bellies,
someone (I assume Tigger) opened the food cabinet and chewed through a plastic container (rubbermaid) then they all had a free for all. they also opened an Iams container, back when the product was in something like a milk carton, we had just gotten a big one of it. Tigger, Sneakers and Freckles all had rock hard tummies, called the vet and we had to pick up all water for several hours, just offered it before bed and thankfully no one developed issues breathing.

Good idea on bringing the outside in as if dont have a porch thats fenced.. dont spose you want to catch any lizards or bugs to bring them in? hehehehe Or let in a fly, mine have all done acrobatics when there was a fly inside.

Ban the Deed, Not the Breed.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 PM
tessa_s212

We quickly started training our kitten as soon as he could start learning. (It helped that we had him since he was 2 days old.) That said, he still does get into some mischeif. Yesterday he dragged the bagels off the counter and attempted to eat them through the bag. He's learned that he can't be on the counters in human's presence, but he'll not hesitate if we are gone. I still have not broken him of this, as I just can't make myself do more of the aversive training on him. I've thought about putting sticky paper for rats/mice down on the counters... but fear that'd just make a bigger mess.

For the plants... I knew if he would destroy Dustin's grandmother's plants, she wouldn't allow us to keep him. I took drastic measures. The first time he did it, he got sprayed in the mouth area with lemon juice/water. He did not like that and ran away and hid. I then sprayed the plants with it, and he stopped knocking them over, chewing, or digging in the plants.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:18 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Donate him to the SPCA! LOL! Goodluck!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/