Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

How do they treat a cleft palate in a clinic? I am just curious.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam111 View Post
That's how the doctors I've encountered have all treated me. I am a highly intelligent person. I read a lot...and not just on the internet. I mean, I get books and read them. When I ask them questions they treat me like a moron and my OB said "stop reading." The OB at the hospital when I found out I was pregnant told me it was impossible to be pregnant again 3 weeks after a miscarriage. When I told him you can ovulate again normally right after because I have read up on it, he said "no". Interesting that I have the baby that was impossible to conceive right now, right?
See, in my case, those doctors have been the minority.

I have no complaints about my OBGYN, my GP, my dermatologist (I have skin cancer in my family and have had a number of moles removed--all fine thank G-d), my psychologist (bi-polar), my eye doctor, the doctor that did the biopsy on my lymph node and the doctors that I dealt with when i had the bile duct leak after my gall bladder surgery. All of them are great, took time to answer any questions, were honest with me, etc.

When I had a cancer scare last year the oncologist they referred me to was a complete dick. I saw him once and did not return--I went to a well known teaching hospital instead. With my gall bladder I should have listened to my gut. I actually said to one of my co-workers that I wouldn't let the guy operate on my dogs, but I didn't feel I had the time to find another doctor considering that he said it had to come out right away. That will NEVER happen again. I often wonder if I would have experienced the same complications if someone else had done it. Maybe it would not have made a difference, but I didn't go with my gut and will now always wonder what might have been if I had.

I have always been taught that I have a certain responsibility for my own health care. I take in lists of questions, I'll bring in a member of my family--usually my mom--for support to ask the things I don't think of. I am not shy about keeping a doctor longer than he intended so that I can get answers. I am like this with doctors, vets, farriers, etc.

I really think that most doctors do have their patients best interests at heart, and I am certainly not jaded enough about modern medicine to abandon it, because I trust most of the alternative medicine industry less than I do doctors. However, if I get the feeling that I'm just another name on a chart that is just extra work if I ask questions, I'm gone.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
She was only 6 lbs and her head only 12 inches. Ya.... too big alright. In that case, I'm glad she listened to her gut in not blindly following that idea and scheduling a csection.
Some women are built in a away that child birth is hard. Thier hips are built right so it may well have ended up being to big.

All I can say is to ask the hospital about polocies, it would suck to be in labour and find out doing or not doing something you want is strictly against policy.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I read up on things, and try to stay informed. I went to law school, not medical school . . . to some extent I feel that I will argue with the doctor about medicine when he argues with me about the filed rate doctrine. But I've generally been lucky enough to have doctors that seemed competent and treated me like a person. When I have not had the feeling they were trustworthy, then I have gotten another doctor. So its not blind trust, and I make sure I know what I have, why they think that, what I'm taking and why . . . but on the other hand, they know infinitely more about medicine than I do, that is, after all, their job . . . and if they actually listen to me and think about it, I think they usually hit on the right answer. I think the doctor listening to you is very important.

I'm actually probably fussier about vets than human doctors . . . its easy for me to tell if I feel better or not . . .harder with an animal, or to know what sideeffects are happening. I also tend to go to old-school vets who share my animal care philosphy . . .because I don't want to argue with them about what level of treatment I feel is appropriate.

So . . . I guess my approach for both is find someone who respects you, who listens to you, and who seems intelligent and competent . . .but stay informed . . .but remember that you didn't got to medical school or vet school, and the internet is often, erm, wrong

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Sorry , but though I believe in " natural and faith healing " I feel that the medical society is there for us and our loved ones . I too am interested how you handled the cleft pallet .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Sorry , but though I believe in " natural and faith healing " I feel that the medical society is there for us and our loved ones . I too am interested how you handled the cleft pallet .
We are not talking faith healing. Many 'natural' medicines can be very similar to the drug company ones.. just less processed.

I have talked to too many people who have worked for pharmaceutical companies.. know what they were given to entice doctor's to prescribe 'their' drugs to assume that the medical society is there for us. Like any 'company' they are out for themselves. Which isn't the same as saying they don't care (where would you be with out your clients?).. but the medical machina is very very much influenced by the big pharmaceutical companies.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Felurian

I don't have a doctor. 'Nuff said

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Taxiderpy

I have a strong distrust of doctors in general. I have met a handful of good ones, but those have been in minority by far.

For example, I fell 30 feet when I was 10 years old (out of a tree) and broke my hip and one vertebrae. I could still walk...hobble..er..drag my leg behind me. The doctor DID NOT EVEN X-RAY ME. He told me if I could walk, I was fine. It wasn't unti l4 years later when I went to a chiropractor,that the horrified DC told me one leg was 3 inches shorter than the other, that my regular doctors decided to do a barium bone scan and found that, indeed, I had broken my bones.

And another time I got rear ended on the freeway by a car traveling at 50 MPH, when mine was stopped in traffic. I drove myself to the hospital. It hurt SO bad. They x-rayed me, and said I had whiplash and gave me painkillers I was allergic to, even though I told him several times I was allergic and couldn't take them he just smiled and said "uh huh, you'll be fine in a week."

The next day I woke up and my arms were paralyzed. Went back, did more x rays and they said I was fine and just experiencing "muscle weakness" in my arms. Right..so weak I couldn't use the bathroom by myself...

So my mom took me to the chiropractor again, who retook x-rays, and re-took, again and again. It turns out that in order to get an x-ray of the atlas and axis vertebrae you go have take the picture through the open mouth, and they don't always come out clear. So, the doctors decided that I was fine based on blurry x-rays, and the clear ones from my chiropractor showed that I had been walking around with a broken neck.

If I had blindly trusted doctors, I would not have reproductive organs. I would not have my daughter. I would not have my colon. I might still be paralyzed (because neurologist #1 said "just wait a few months and see if use of your arms returns" Idiot.)

That doesn't even scratch what has happened to my family. My sister's kidneys failed when she was five, and the doctor said it was the flu. My mom KNEW it wasn't, it was nothing like the flu so she yelled at him, argued with him, until he retested and when he read the results his face turned white and they literally grabbed her and threw her on a stretcher and into the ambulance, she was in that bad of shape.

And the grapefruit sized tumor on my om's ovary that twisted and cut off circulation to her organs, was her being a hypochondriac. The only thing that saved her was my dad screaming that he would sue the #*$&(@# out of them if they didn't find out what was really wrong with her. Who tells a patient writhing in agony on the floor that it's all in their head anyway? Just because they are too busy/idiotic to diagnose it right away.

And then my cousin, who I posted about a couple of months ago when his intestines burst and he was dying. The doctor refused to operate on him, because his "chances of surviving are virtually nothing". My cousin is alive because of ONE good doctor (Bless him). He remembers hearing their conversation. The good doctor said he wanted to give it a shot and operate, because he was going to di e anyway, and with the operation at least had a chance even if it was tiny. The first doctor's response? "Why would you do that? You know he's going to die and that will mess up your score."

That scum was more worried about some stupid score of how many patients he operated on surviving surgery than actually saving someone's life. When I heard that I wanted to punch his stupid face.

Sorry for the novel/rant. I just really, really don't trust doctors. I go to a chinese doctor for 99% of things now, and have been very happy with my treatment so far..
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
We are not talking faith healing. Many 'natural' medicines can be very similar to the drug company ones.. just less processed.

I have talked to too many people who have worked for pharmaceutical companies.. know what they were given to entice doctor's to prescribe 'their' drugs to assume that the medical society is there for us. Like any 'company' they are out for themselves. Which isn't the same as saying they don't care (where would you be with out your clients?).. but the medical machina is very very much influenced by the big pharmaceutical companies.

And they can also be snake oil. I always find it odd that people seem so much more willing to trust those in the "alternative" fields than modern doctors. I don't think that they are any less in it for themselves than anyone else--they're just doing it in a way that is less regulated. This is coming by the way, from someone who uses a chiropractor and swears by him, has used one for her horse, uses a massage and swim therapist for her dog, would willingly use acupuncture if necessary, uses supplements for horses and dogs and self. However, what I have learned from researching all that is buyer beware--big time.

I have been to a ton of doctors and never had one push one drug over the other if there were a number of options (and I know if there are because I check). They willingly answered my questions and have all made efforts to put me on generics of that is what I choose. Actually, recently DH left the doctors all mad because he would not give him an antibiotic because he didn't believe that he needed one, that his body could fight off what was ailing him. It would have been much easier for that doctor to just send him off with a Z pack rather than argue with him, but he didn't think it was best so they didn't prescribe it. Turns out, the doctor was right and he got over it in a week.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Sorry for the novel/rant. I just really, really don't trust doctors. I go to a chinese doctor for 99% of things now, and have been very happy with my treatment so far..
Last time I heard there were a few bazillion Chinese people still populating the earth. Maybe the medicine they've been practicing for thousands of years has some merit, hmm?

One of my biggest gripes with western medicine is that we give drugs to cover up symptoms and mask pain.

And a lot of the "medicines" that are being put out into the market aren't much better -- if any at all -- than pure poison.

"Do no harm" my ass.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian