Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
Ohh...after reading this..I wonder, what do you think about rats?

In my experience, they are so inbred that they only live 1-2 years. They have major personality, can be affectionate and super playful...and you can keep them in most places you'd be living...I had rats in dorms when I was going to university.

Is that an option for you?
The cage is an issue, they need really big cages right?

and, no offense to anyone, Im really not a fan of them. my cousin had a mouse and it pooped/peed all over me! yuck! im not a fan of any animal those goes to the bathroom on me lol
Altho, ive been researching and it seems that rats are quite diffrent.. kind of like little dogs.

the only issue would be the cage. and the landlord.. hes OK with cats and dogs. but one of the girls said she wanted a ferret and he said no. so im not so sure about rats. ill email him tho after I do some reasearch

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
Honestly, for your situation I would recommend searching for a very specific type of cat (and helpful shelter staff should be able to help you with this): older, fairly quiet, affectionate but not demanding. Basically a cat that has limited energy demands...will willingly accept attention when you have it to spare and will amuse itself (probably with a nap) when you're able. There are a million cats like that who are just looking for a warm, safe place to sleep at night and a nice pet when you have it to spare.

That's the kind of cat I would recommend.
thats EXACTLY what I want. like a garfeild kind of cat that will be content to just chill out lol

and I will definetly check out the black cats, i think they are very pretty and if we can find one with brown feet then we are just all set! lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
The cage is an issue, they need really big cages right?

and, no offense to anyone, Im really not a fan of them. my cousin had a mouse and it pooped/peed all over me! yuck! im not a fan of any animal those goes to the bathroom on me lol
Altho, ive been researching and it seems that rats are quite diffrent.. kind of like little dogs.

the only issue would be the cage. and the landlord.. hes OK with cats and dogs. but one of the girls said she wanted a ferret and he said no. so im not so sure about rats. ill email him tho after I do some reasearch
Hmmm..yeah, that's totally fair. If they don't suit you, they don't suit you.

They do need a large cage, unless you're going to let them out all the time. And they can sometimes...umm...dribble on you. They can be littertrained very easily, but as well behaved as my boys were, they still tended to leave little pee trails here and there when the mood caught them. :0

Rats are a pretty particular pet. They really are very social and have real needs..they can't just be left in a cage like a mouse or a guinea pig. If you don't have the time or environment for them to come out and explore then I wouldn't bother. They're basically like miniature ferrets. They're small, but they have BIG personality.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

If you get a cat, though, I'm going to suggest a black cat for two reasons: 1) they don't get adopted anywhere near as quickly as other cats. Even the sweetest, mildest black cats have been passed over time and time again for the cuter ones at FOHA who aren't nearly as sweet. Reason #2 is that you already have a black dog, and you need to be able to coordinate your wardrobe for the pet hair! (In all seriousness, though, do consider the black cats if you go to the shelter. They get overlooked constantly.)
Wonderful suggestions! Please do consider a black cat. But most of all, just look for a laid back kitty - maybe even an older adult or middle aged.

Also, you say you already have cats. What holds you back from bringing one of your currently owned cats? (I'm all for saving a life, but just curious. )
Old 06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
Wonderful suggestions! Please do consider a black cat. But most of all, just look for a laid back kitty - maybe even an older adult or middle aged.

Also, you say you already have cats. What holds you back from bringing one of your currently owned cats? (I'm all for saving a life, but just curious. )
They are all sort of feral. we befriended them enough that they come indoors, sometimes we can pet them, and we got them spayed/neutered but they by no means want anything to do with people. they would NOT take the move well, they are so tightly bonded and being outdoors is such a big part of them.
They pretty much just use us for food and a roof over their heads lol

Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 PM
tessa_s212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
They are all sort of feral. we befriended them enough that they come indoors, sometimes we can pet them, and we got them spayed/neutered but they by no means want anything to do with people. they would NOT take the move well, they are so tightly bonded and being outdoors is such a big part of them.
They pretty much just use us for food and a roof over their heads lol
Yes, we have those too. Only one of the barn cats is very social here, but even then I'd NEVER make him be an indoor only kitty, even if I promise him that if we have the finances one day, we'll take him with us and he could be indoor/outdoor.

But most definitely look for a garfield cat, in a black coat! :P I know here there are many rescue groups.. and of course, rescue groups always tend to know much more about individual cats personalities, less likely to adopt a cat with URI issues, etc. So also look into rescues since you do need a particular type of cat. Shelters may not be able to help in the personality area unless it is a very good shelter.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 PM
tessa_s212

BTW, this is our kitty we hand raised from 2 days old. He was the only male, and Dustin HAD to keep him. He's MUCH bigger now (8-9 months), but haven't uploaded the recent pictures of him.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

totally off the wall suggestion but you are in one of the main exotic pet states
bobcat, caracal or lynx
i know the bob when bottle raised tends to bond well and even exhibits dog like protective tendancies & social character. additionally when well fed they can get to 40# (and even bigger) and will seriously intimidate strangers.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Felurian

Oh. About the litterbox.

My big blue cat, Gonzo, learned to use the toilet. It's not difficult to teach most cats He also walked on a leash and was a champion snuggler.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

I know everyone already petty much answered these but I thought I'd share my experiences too, I love cats but only want to own certain personalities which is why I'm sticking to Siamese(sort of like how I like small dogs and puppies but don't want to own them, I like cats but only like certain personalities and know that I will find that in most Siamese) .

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2.

Like many said, it depends on the cat. Neko would have done absolutely perfect without another cat, in fact I think he liked it better before we got Willie. He hates other cats now. Many adult cats will be labeled as bad with other cats. There was a cat at the shelter who would urinate all over the place in a home with cats but would play with the family dogs. Cats made him uncomfortable. Most kittens however are fine with other cats and will grow up to be fine with other cats if they are raised together. They do exercise each other and keep each other busy. Most shelters/rescues require you get two kittens. As I said I like a certain personality and that is a clingy super affectionate cat. Like with two puppies bought together, two cats may bond to each other more than to you. For that reason I think I will always buy kittens one at a time. People who want a more independent cat (not unaffectionate, just more content to be by himself/with the other cat and not with you) would be better with two kittens not one.

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necessary?

Never had a long haired cat, I prefer short coats for looks and grooming purposes. So I'm not sure on grooming requirements.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

It's up to you. I like kittens personally but that's because I am somewhat afraid of adult cats that I have not raised/know very well. There have been a few adults that I bonded to at the shelter but I was not able to fully trust them even though I thought they were sweet as can be. I can't read cats as well as dogs (my own cats are an exception, I know them and can read them like a book). I like to raise them, get them used to teeth brushing, nail clipping, handling in general, etc. As I said I'm afraid of adults and have trouble reading strange adults so starting to do those things with adults, for me, is not something I'm comfortable with. That said they are vicious little buggers. With Neko I was very chopped up, all up my arms was scratched up. With Willie I only got a scratch here and there. It was all play though. They will attack your feet when you walk and sleep, they will rip stuff up and get all over everything, they will break things. In a small apartment they can be a tornado. So for a lot of people adults are better. For you I'd go adult. Remember though that shy cats in shelters may not be shy at all in a home, many do not show well in the shelter environment.

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment

I just have a regular litter box, the bigger the better. Some cats are okay with covered boxes and some cats are not, I don't personally like them because sometimes cats poop up against the sides and it's another thing I have to clean. Plus I'm an out of sight out of mind person so having to walk past a full litter box is incentive for me to clean it.

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy?

Some cats like crumpled up balls of paper, ping pong balls, little mice, etc. I call these "independent toys" because they can use these by themselves. Some cats like ones full of catnip (not all cats react to catnip-the reaction is genetic) Some cats much prefer wand type toys that you have to move around for them to chase and catch. A popular one is called "Da Bird". Yank on the toys before you buy them, if feathers/fluff rip out too easily don't buy them. Get scratching posts and put them in the room with furniture. some cats like horizontal and some like vertical. some like carpet, some sisal and some cardboard (unless they are Willie who likes only couch, so I made him one out of couch material).

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet.

This also depends on the cat and his upbringing. My cats, due to both their breed, individual personalities and how I raised them are very affectionate and clingy. Both cats are always in the same room as me unless they are asleep. They both are always open to attention and are responsive to me calling them (Neko only responds to me, Willie responds to anyone and he RUNS when they call him). both wait for me at the front door when I come home from school or just from going outside. Willie is much more clingy than Neko (Neko was before we got Willie but has since changed). Willie will beg for attention and will jump into my arms. He will scream his head off when he wants attention. When seeking attention Neko gives a casual rub that most people, who don't know him, ignore (he kinda misses the leg too). Willie does not let you ignore him. Neko does not let you hold him for very long while Willie enjoys being held. Both like me and want my attention and I like that. They are not cats you have to go looking for, they are always there and ready for attention. It is a Siamese thing but is also an individual cat thing, plenty of non-Siamese will be like that and a Siamese that is raised with little attention will turn out differently, he most likely will give up on seeking attention from people. Cats who were allowed outside while they were growing up will most likely become more independent, they may enjoy your attention but they also like to do their own thing and have their own ways to entertain themselves outside. Mine play fetch, Neko rough houses better than most dogs (VERY fun and engaging for both of us) and Willie steals from the trash. They are very dog like, which I like.

7. What is a high quality cat food?

Usually the same brands of dog foods. For cats veggies, fruits and grains are even worse. Dry food is also not that great for them, feed as much wet food as you can afford. Or go raw (cheaper than wet food).

8. I will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since I'm prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when I'm not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

Until you are sure the cat is trained to only use his post do something similar to what you'd do with a dog, don't crate but isolate in a bathroom or spare bedroom with litter box, independent toys, water, a soft bed or blanket and scratching post. Once he has lost all interest in furniture he can have the run of the house. He might end up sleeping the whole time anyway, mine do that while I'm at school. An open window (with a screen of course) can be good entertainment for some cats especially if there is wildlife or a lot of movement outside the window.

My boys:

Willie

Neko

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!