Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Oh...I'd also add, to anyone considering getting a cat...

Indoor cats are far more likely to survive to a ripe old age than indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats.

I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with head trauma after being run over. You'd never want your cat to go through that. Everyone with an outdoor cat thinks their cat is smart enough to avoid cars...but I can tell you (with graphic detail) it has nothing to do with being smart. It happens and it is absolutely tragic.

I have seem enough protruding eyeballs, missing jaws and swollen brains to last me a lifetime. Growing up, our cats were ALWAYS outdoor. I thought that was just the default for cats. After working at the hospital...no. Cats are safer indoors. If you never let them out, they never know. Keep them entertained inside, get a second cat if you think they are truly really bored and pining for stimulation, but don't let them outdoors.

I've seen so, so many grieving pet owners saying "We always thought she knew to stay out of traffic..." over their brain dead, hit-by-car cat...no one thinks it'll happen to their cat, but it happens all. the. time.

Also, keep in mind that a lot people won't even stop if they hit a cat because they're too afraid that what they see will be really traumatic to them. It's really the minority of people who will bring a hit-by-car cat to a hospital. Your cat may disappear and, unbeknownst to you, it spent it's last 12 hours alive dragging itself down the road with an eyeball sticking out, bleeding out in its brain.

Sorry for the scare tatics. I just think it's that important.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestika View Post
Oh...I'd also add, to anyone considering getting a cat...

Indoor cats are far more likely to survive to a ripe old age than indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats.

I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with head trauma after being run over. You'd never want your cat to go through that. Everyone with an outdoor cat thinks their cat is smart enough to avoid cars...but I can tell you (with graphic detail) it has nothing to do with being smart. It happens and it is absolutely tragic.

I have seem enough protruding eyeballs, missing jaws and swollen brains to last me a lifetime. Growing up, our cats were ALWAYS outdoor. I thought that was just the default for cats. After working at the hospital...no. Cats are safer indoors. If you never let them out, they never know. Keep them entertained inside, get a second cat if you think they are truly really bored and pining for stimulation, but don't let them outdoors.

I've seen so, so many grieving pet owners saying "We always thought she knew to stay out of traffic..." over their brain dead, hit-by-car cat...no one thinks it'll happen to their cat, but it happens all. the. time.

Also, keep in mind that a lot people won't even stop if they hit a cat because they're too afraid that what they see will be really traumatic to them. It's really the minority of people who will bring a hit-by-car cat to a hospital. Your cat may disappear and, unbeknownst to you, it spent it's last 12 hours alive dragging itself down the road with an eyeball sticking out, bleeding out in its brain.

Sorry for the scare tatics. I just think it's that important.
The new kitty will be ONLY indoors. because of all that and because I dont know the area, ill be in an apartment, etc..

the only reason the cats we have now are indoors/outdoors are because they just were feral cats when we moved in, they got friendly enough that we took them to be spayed/neutered, now they come in and out but definetly aren't people friendly. they just deal with us lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and ive decided to go with an adult Now ive just gotta find the right one.. lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Bored Now.

Don't take this the wrong way, Fran, but now is not the right time for you to get a cat or kitten. You're going to school, you'll probably be kinda broke, might be moving around a fair bit, and life will be changing a lot for you - not to mention what a big change college will be from high school. . . I would wait until you are much more stable to adopt a cat. They are one hell of a commitment - most live 12-20 years. It might work out, but it doesn't really seem like the best decision, IMO.

Answers to your questions, though:

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary? Depends on the coat. Persian type coat? DAILY brushing is absolutely necessary. Maine Coon type coat? It depends on the cat. I have one who can be brushed once a month and doesn't mat, but we have had cats at FOHA who need to be brushed daily or several times a week or they mat. I'd say that the longer and softer/fuzzier the coat is, the easier it will mat.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best? See above. If you do decide to get a cat, though, I'm going to suggest an adult. An adult will be cheaper, easier, will come sterilized and litter trained, etc. You will also get a feel for the cat's temperament, which you really can't do as well when they're kittens. Kittens are expensive, messy, can be destructive, and really should have a kitten friend to grow up with for the companionship and a good playmate.

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment Any kind? Covered ones are great, as long as they are cleaned frequently.

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy? Anything that works. Mine prefer caps, beanie babies, mice made with rabbit fur, carboard, wrapping paper, etc. Wand toys are a blast. Cat trees are a must if you don't have a lot of vertical space.

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet Depends on the cat. Another good reason to get an adult - you'll be able to see the temperament of the cat BEFORE you bring him/her home. Mine are cuddly, but how they are cuddly depends on the individual, and some cats just aren't. Emma likes cuddles and pets on her own terms - when SHE wants it and can care less about how you feel. Chili is very in your face and grabby - she stands on my dresser in the mornings and 'hugs' me and chews on my face or hands. She likes being in the room with me all the time and usually touching me or on top of me. She's a very cuddly, in-your-face sort of cat with those she likes. Tom is more likely to beg to be petted constantly and to sit near you or leaning against you rather than on you. He does NOT like the be picked up but is always, always happy to be petted. I could spend 24 hours petting him and he wouldn't get tired of it. When he does sit in your lap or on your legs, if you shift even a little he's leaping off of you, whereas, in comparison, Chili has sunk her claws into my clothes and clung to me to avoid having to be dislodged. (She usually screams while I'm doing this and makes an enormous scene. Trust me, it's not as cute as it sounds.)

Quick summary of this really long-winded reply? Cats are individuals. It's not like with dogs where you can search for a breed that fits your wants and needs by looking for certain traits, and you'll be reasonably sure you're getting a good fit for you. If you really want a cat and think now is the time for one, go to a shelter and spend some time (OUT of the cage) with a few cats and get to know them better.

7. What is a high quality cat food? Canned. It gets pricey to fed only or mostly canned, though. Canned cat food is absurdly expensive. However, if you only feed kibble, your cat will be chronically dehydrated. I'm not going to bash kibble feeders - I feed it to two of my cats - as I understand why most people who know better feed it, but it's not exactly a good option for the long-term health of your cat. It's easy and relatively inexpensive, though.

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:45 PM
just call me Nilly

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2

It really depends on the cat. If you're raising a kitten from kittenhood all by itself it will likely be alright on it's own. Keep in mind though, young kittens will drive you MENTAL for the first 8 months. Seriously. Kittens do much better with a buddy to take out all that craziness on. If you adopt an adult the shelter should be able to point you towards an "only cat" kind of cat.

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary?

Depends on the type of coat. (Just like dogs, there are various coat types). Cats like persians have heavy undercoat that gets quickly matted and almost daily brushing is required. Nya (my longhair) has a thinner coat without any undercoat, and only now that she's getting senior and not grooming herself as well do I have to brush her at all.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

Honestly? Adult cat all the way. Kittens are ADORABLE. Like seriously stinking cute, but that's about all they've got going for them IMO. I've done the kitten thing and will NEVER go that route again if given the option. Kittens are crazy. If you don't mind your toes getting eaten in the middle of the night and your arms/feet getting scratched to bits, and never sleeping because the kitten wants you to play, then go for it.

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment

I prefer covered litterboxes. My cats are litter kickers, and it gets EVERYWHERE if the box is open topped. Particularly I love this litterbox: Omega Paw Roll N Clean Litter Box - New Kitten Center - Cat - PetSmart
I use that with a flush-able litter, and it's a dream in an apartment.

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy?

The rule of thumb with cats is: the more expensive the toy, the less they'll care about it. Get a bunch of those cheap 99 cent balls (crinkly ones, foamy ones, just get a variety). Maybe a ribbon wand toy. If you get a kitten it's recommended to hold off on the catnip until they're grown up. Honeysuckle however is a FANTASTIC alternative to catnip.

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet

My cats are attention wh*res They are a bit more aloof since Sierra entered the picture, but overall they're very lovey, affectionate and playful. Well... Buddy is playful. Nya is a senior and sleeps a lot of the time, but is a huge snugglebug.

7. What is a high quality cat food?
The same general rules apply for judging a good cat food as a good dog food. The only thing to keep in mind is that cats are obligate carnivores and their biological need for meat is that much higher than dogs. They have absolutely no biological use for grains of any sort. Also, it's very important for cats to have wet food as at least 50% of their diet. (Wet or raw, but the moisture is vitally important). If you want more info on that, give me a buzz. I have lots and lots of things you can read

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

Honestly, so long as you're responsible I feel cats are ideal pets for students. They don't care if you're out all night so long as you love on them when you get home. Leave a bunch of those toys out, but they'll probably just sleep. (Unless you get a kitten, then you've got 8 months or so until they sleep all day)

As for the scratching, invest in a scratching post. A carpet or sisal rope post would be best, most cats (in my experience) ignore the cardboard ones. Positive reinforcement to teach the cat to use the post (praise whenever they go to it on their own, if caught scratching furniture just pick them up and move them to the post, encouraging them to scratch there). If you are consistent with this, the cat will pick up quickly. Mine don't pay any attention to the furniture.

And of course, pictures are necessary if you do get a kitty!!

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Bored Now.

Oooh Nilly, you brought up an important point with kittens. The INJURIES. OMG. They're so sweet, but they have no clue what they are doing with those little razorblades on the ends of their paws.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Resident fainting goat

I visited "my building" and it was actually another pre-vet student who recommended cats. He told me there were nights of heavy studying that his cat was the only thing that kept him from having a nervous breakdown lol and they make great study buddies

A lot of people in the building have cats, and the landlord doesn't mind as long as they are ONLY indoor and we must show proof of spay/neuter and rabies. (he doesnt want cats getting out, reproducing and taking oveer lol )

School is a big change.. but cant aren't really all that high maintenance lol We have 4 here and I dont even notice they are around. Maybe its sort of a selfish reason.. but being in college alone, cooped up in my room.. I feel like id need a pet to keep me company.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Bored Now.

I get that, and I'm not trying to bash you or anything (I like you in case you haven't noticed already ), I just don't think it's the best idea right now. College is going to be a huge, huge thing and such a change from how things were before. Life might be pretty unstable for the next 6 years or so and you already have one pet you can't bring with you. I could see things going wrong. That's all I'm saying. Ultimately the decision is up to you and I think you'll make the right one, whatever that turns out to be. Just don't rush into anything if you can help it. I'm speaking from experience here.

If you get a cat, though, I'm going to suggest a black cat for two reasons: 1) they don't get adopted anywhere near as quickly as other cats. Even the sweetest, mildest black cats have been passed over time and time again for the cuter ones at FOHA who aren't nearly as sweet. Reason #2 is that you already have a black dog, and you need to be able to coordinate your wardrobe for the pet hair! (In all seriousness, though, do consider the black cats if you go to the shelter. They get overlooked constantly.)
Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
School is a big change.. but cant aren't really all that high maintenance lol We have 4 here and I dont even notice they are around. Maybe its sort of a selfish reason.. but being in college alone, cooped up in my room.. I feel like id need a pet to keep me company.
Honestly, for your situation I would recommend searching for a very specific type of cat (and helpful shelter staff should be able to help you with this): older, fairly quiet, affectionate but not demanding. Basically a cat that has limited energy demands...will willingly accept attention when you have it to spare and will amuse itself (probably with a nap) when you're unable. There are a million cats like that who are just looking for a warm, safe place to sleep at night and a nice pet when you have it to spare.

That's the kind of cat I would recommend.

Last edited by Domestika; 06-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I get that, and I'm not trying to bash you or anything (I like you in case you haven't noticed already ), I just don't think it's the best idea right now. College is going to be a huge, huge thing and such a change from how things were before. Life might be pretty unstable for the next 6 years or so and you already have one pet you can't bring with you. I could see things going wrong. That's all I'm saying. Ultimately the decision is up to you and I think you'll make the right one, whatever that turns out to be. Just don't rush into anything if you can help it. I'm speaking from experience here.
Ohh...after reading this..I wonder, what do you think about rats?

In my experience, they are so inbred that they only live 1-2 years. They have major personality, can be affectionate and super playful...and you can keep them in most places you'd be living...I had rats in dorms when I was going to university.

Is that an option for you?