Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Cat people.. i have some questions about felines

ive always kind of overlooked cats as pets.but recently I met a very friendly cuddly playful one.. and since im moving into an apartment that allows 1 cat. the more I think about it, the more i think that id like a low maintenance feline friend to hang out with me when im stuck in my room studying

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary?

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy?

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet

7. What is a high quality cat food?

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

so answer some questions, tell me about your cat, post pictures.. w/e!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Well, take note that I don't like cats in general. There's only been two cats that I can tolerate (and they're polar opposites in the personality department) but I do own three of the buggers so:

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2

No idea. I don't think they're like a horse. Personally, of my three cats, I'm pretty sure that two of them would rather live by themselves.

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary?

The only long hair cat I have is a calico, and she will not let you near her with a brush. She does a good job grooming herself, though, so I'd say it depends on the cat.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

Well kittens are of course cute and you get to watch them 'grow up', but it's the same situation with dogs. You know the cute, young ones will get adopted where as the older ones might not be so fortunate.

We have an automatic cleaning litterbox thing. That seems to work well. Expensive, but handy.

No idea. My cat finds playing with my feet to be a perfectly acceptable exercise (just wish she would pull in her **** claws!)

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet

Well the tabby cat hates me, loves my mom. Will cuddle the hell out of my mom. The calico is indifferent to me, will sometimes crawl into my lap. Loves my dad's lap though. And the tortoise pattern cat will have nothing to do with anyone. She'll hang out on the foot stool of the recliner, but that's more for a tactical advantage over the other cats than any affection for the occupant of the chair.

I've no idea.

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

Uhm...I dunno. We always let ours outdoors and they entertain themselves.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 06-06-2009, 04:02 PM
tessa_s212

[QUOTE=Fransheska101;1402894]ive always kind of overlooked cats as pets.but recently I met a very friendly cuddly playful one.. and since im moving into an apartment that allows 1 cat. the more I think about it, the more i think that id like a low maintenance feline friend to hang out with me when im stuck in my room studying

There are many people that own only one cat. Before we kept our hand raised foster kitten, Dustin had only 1 indoor cat. She was fine and found ways to amuse herself. Since we've kept the new kitten, it was a VERY big adjustment for her. She growled a lot, she hissed, she hated him. But soon enough, with time, they became friends and now they tackle each other, play, and keep each other busy. I'm just a multi- type person. I couldn't fathom just one pet.

My sister has a medium/long haired Main Coon mix. She's looking kind of scruffy at the moment, but she doesn't brush her more than once every other week. Her coat isn't the type to get matted, however there are some long haired cats that need weekly grooming. Those are truly a pain in my butt! Wonderful cats, I just see cats as a low-maintenance pet and want them that way! :P

Please, please.. if you have it in your heart, adopt an adult. I know even kittens can have a hard time finding a home, but their chances are still better than the adults. And especially if you may consider having two cats, sometimes cats come in with a buddy that they wouldn't handle being separated from very well. (Also, there is the option of adopting a cat that is already declawed. The damage has been done, you didn't do it to the cat, and it takes the worries out of the clawing issue)

I use covered. Just my preference.

I give up on buying many toys. Most of the time, milk jug rings, paper wads, shoe laces, etc etc are their favorite toys. Forget any expensive toy I may buy them. I'd just get a few to see what they may like at first, and also provide it with many 'homemade' toys as well.

Aramae, the cat that was originally an only cat, isn't a cuddler. She doesn't want to be snuggled or pet much. V, the foster kitten we know own and raised since he was 2 days old, is a cuddly one. He loves human interaction and we call him our "cat dog". He plays fetch!! loves to play fetch, 'talks' to us occasionally, and has to always folllow Dustin around.

I have to be honest, our cats don't get high quality. Just note that if you adopt a male, males are more prone to being blocked, and my vet personally recommends feeding can food or supplementing with canned food to help maybe prevent it. If the brand is high quality for dogs, it is high quality for cats is the rule of thumb.

My sister hangs string with a toy attacked from the ceiling fan, V has a cat tree he LOVES to go hog wild on (he's NOT declawed, never had a problem with him clawing anything but his cat tree - just takes training, like you would a dog), and many cats simply sleep while you are away. With V in the initial trainign process, we did treat him very much like a dog. When they were tiny they were kept in a carrier, so he was no stranger to a crate. When we were not home to watch him to prevent or correct him from scratching innapropriate things, he was kept in the carrier(large enough for a small tray/litterbox) - crate trained, just like a dog.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

I can appreciate cats , but can't compare them to a dog . Whole different mind set . I don't see them as a " companion " . I do admire those who love cats .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I thought you were taking Kenya with you?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:09 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I never found my cat to be lonely, and I had him for about 12 years before we rescued mom's kitten (I found her on the highway when she was a really tiny baby), who's now like a year and a half old. Socks was happy and content by himself, and still is kind of a loner. I really think it depends on the individual cat. Lola, mom's cat, LOVES Socks, but gets annoyed by her easily, LOL.

Not sure about long-haired cats, mine, and mom's kitty, are both shorthairs.

If you are adopting from the shelter, I'd REALLY urge you to adopt an adult. Kittens are always adopted first because everyone wants a cute kitten. Adult cats sometimes sit in shelters a very long time, because many people never want an adult cat, and they are easily overlooked. But many adults are still just as playful and cuddly as a kitten is.

I've never had a special litterbox, I always just used the plain square ones with kitty litter. There are those fancy self-cleaning ones though, I think they're called the Litter Maid, or something like that.

A lot of cats love just about any cat toy. String and feathers on a pole, balls with bells, catnip toys, you name it.

My cat has been indoor/outdoor his entire life, and he's going on like 15. And he's still just as loving and cuddly as any cat you'd meet. Wants to sit in my lap, get a head scratch, a belly rub, and give kisses.

If you want to go with the high quality cat foods, Wellness makes a good one. Innova also makes a cat food, as does EVO. Mom used Wellness on her cat for quite a while and he liked it.

A stratching post is your best friend. But try to find one that says it has catnip in it. Some do, and this will make the cat accept and use it more probably. Some cats get bored with regular scratching posts. Also, leave some toys out for him to keep himself entertained, and he should do fine.

And just because I wanna, here's a pic of my boy Socks:

And mom's cat Lola:

Old 06-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
I thought you were taking Kenya with you?
Me and my family struck a deal..
Im going to do a year alone.. and then If i STILL feel that i have the time to be with kenya and keep her happy. then I take her.

The problem is, shes used to having a backyard, shes never been in the house alone (big family) and other dog friends. not moving isn't an option, so i want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE I can keep her happy if/when I bring her. So now I have a year to figure everything out, get used to my soroundings, work out a schedule. and then we're gonna send her over.

and kenya loves cats and is nice to them , so having a canine and feline wont be a problem
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

I haven't read other responses, but I'll give you my info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
ive always kind of overlooked cats as pets.but recently I met a very friendly cuddly playful one.. and since im moving into an apartment that allows 1 cat. the more I think about it, the more i think that id like a low maintenance feline friend to hang out with me when im stuck in my room studying

I think it really depends on a) the cat and b) how much time you have to interact with them. Some cats want nothing more than to lay in a sunny windowsill and be pet once in a while..some cats are much more active and might prefere a buddy to hang out with when you're not home/can't play wiht them.

I've never had a long haired cat, but I've seen plenty at work and they seem to shed more, and of course the are fare more likely to develop matts and need to be put under to have them shaved out if they aren't regularly groomed. Don't know much about what "regular grooming" entails though, sorry!

I would HIGHLY recommend an adult cat, for all the reasons you'd adopt an adult dog. Their personality is a little more cemented. You know what you're getting yourself into. Adult cats can still be very playful and adaptable. They aren't in that cute "kitten stage", but...come on. They need homes too!

I'm a proponent for "the largest box you can find". My cat had urinary blockages before I adopted him, which makes him sort of.."special needs" when it comes to litterbox stuff, but I don't see why you wouldn't just get the biggest, best box you can afford. If you have a male cat I'd highly recommened getting the biggest box you can, if you're on the fence between two. Young male cats can develop life-threatening urinary issues if their box is too small/they find the box too uncomfortable to use freely.

Like dogs, it really depends on the cat. Some cats don't care about any toys at all. Some cats will play with ANYTHING. I recommend getting to know the cat before you go and spend money on toys they may very well not play with. My cat, for instance, couldn't care less about balls or bells, but LOVES mouse shaped toys made with fur and real faces. He likes to eat the face... :/

Again, like dogs...not every cat is the same. My cat is majorly cuddly with me, not so much with my husband (maybe cause my husband likes to "rough house" with the cat...). That's why it's good to pick a cat that seems to exhibit the traits you are looking for. If you want a cat that's affectionate, don't pick the cutest kitten...who ignores you and just wants to bite things or play with its littermates.

Pretty much anything you find at a vet's office and NOTHING you find in a pet store or grocery store.

I would recommend a scratching post and making sure the cat has access to a lookout of some kind. A window is enough to entertain most adult cats. Again, it really depends on the temperment of the cat, but my cat has always been an indoor cat (since I've had him anyway) and he tends to gravitate towards windows where he can watch birds and othe goings-on.

so answer some questions, tell me about your cat, post pictures.. w/e!
Beyond that...my cat is lovely. He's almost 20 pounds of ridiculous kitten. He's probably 4 or 5, but he still chases the cord on my camera, my shoelaces, etc.

My husband and I were at the shelter one day, just looking for fun, and I saw him and went "OH MY GOD, look at this cat!" He was enormous and gorgeous and friendly.

I called the next morning to see if he was still up for adoption (he had been at the shelter for SIX MONTHS) and they said no, the had been adopted the day before. Knowing how useless the shelter staff are...I went in later that day to "double-check". Turns out one of the staff wanted him. I pressured him a bit and, after looking through the cat's medical file and seeing that he had had an upper respiratory infection and a urinary blockage (ie. high maintenence), the guy said "sure, you can have him". He didn't care what cat he took, he just wanted "a cat".

It took him about a week or so to get used to us. He's a MAJOR scaredy cat with new people/situations, but he settled in just fine. He moved with me from Canada to Iceland and has settled in nicely here. He's currently laying stretched out on the huge window sill, enjoying the bright sun at 9pm. I wouldn't have left him behind for anything. He's one of the major loves of my life.

He's an absolutely doll. I love him. He's cuddly, playful, trainable, engaging and beautiful. I feel very lucky that we caught a glimpse of him that day (and that my husband agreed to bring him home. )

That's a 22" monitor, just for size comparison.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Wow !!! That should be a cover picture for " What ever Lola wants ... Lola gets " !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
And mom's cat Lola:

Whew....Lola looks fierce!