Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Show Dog

The ones ive been around are really really sweet, but i would watch out for temperment problems, and most def health problems, they have ALOT of them. I love them, but they need someone who can suport their health issues.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

You need to REALLY research your breeder to get one that is healthy. Breeders who breed for color over anything else- stay away. Breeders who health test everything- check them out further.

The questions have been answered well so I can't add much.

Danes are one of the friendliest dogs I've ever seen. They are gentle, but in a way that a large animal is gentle. They sometimes don't know their own strength or realize how big they are, and when ours decides she want's some lap time, you don't have a lot of choice.

Ours is very smart. One of the things I heard when we were researching Danes as a breed was they are not smart. I disagree. Our's might take longer than our GSD to learn a task, but once it's learned ,she's reliable and as quick as she can be with it. She is an inquisitive dog and a problem solver. She can open pretty much every door in the house including those with knobs, she's learned to open our Pug's dog crate, and she will analyze a situation and figure out how to best get to what she wants. A Dane with determination is a force to be reckoned with!

I wouldn't say she's a guard dog, but definitely a very vocal watch dog. Nothing can happen around our property, or even on our block, without her making a statement in a loud way. A huge dog with a huge bark is a huge deterrent for anyone who might have ill intentions, and if that's how she gets the job done, perfect.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Twin 2.0

DAN! Where have you been??

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Hey Zoom, I've been around, just not on the forum much. Been busy with a lot of things the last few months.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Twin 2.0

I have this Daisy and Gunnar shaped hole in my soul these days. Please fix it. It's kind of drafty.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I have this Daisy and Gunnar shaped hole in my soul these days. Please fix it. It's kind of drafty.
^^This.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Cheesecake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostshowfan86 View Post

Okay so we were talking to a lady yesterday that has owned and loves Great Danes and she was telling us how docile they are. How good they are with kids, and how they are protective over the children....
They are very good with children. They are also very protective. Great Danes are a breed that are truly a 'people dog'.

Quote:
About how big do they get?
Females generally average around 32 - 36 inches tall and around 110 - 160 pounds.

Males generally average around 34 - 38 inches tall and around 150 - 180 pounds although some can get as heavy as 200 pounds.

Quote:
They look like they'd be a little strong (saw one pulling our neighbor down the road) Are they easy to leash train?
They are very strong dogs. If you have a leash pulling Dane, it's not a pretty sight. Luckily, they are very smart animals and very easy to train.

Quote:
Are they easy to train?
Yes, with the proper time and attention.

Quote:
I was told they make a good watch dog (not guard dog) and will alert you to danger, is this true?
They are not as vocal as other dogs but they will definitely alert you to an intruder or danger. Their sheer size deters most potential problems anyway. Not many people expect to see a dog the size of a pony.

Quote:
Is it true they are one of the most gentle dogs?
Their gentle giant moniker is well deserved in my opinion. They are huge, but at the same time they can act like a 5 pound lap dog.

Quote:
What health issues does the breed have as a whole?
Bloat is the major one, Torsion (flipping) of the stomach is what is deadly.

Cancer is another health issue as are heart problems.

That said, Great Danes can live a very long and healthy life with the proper basic care and essentials. Don't listen to those people who tell you that they only live 5-7 years. As an average rule of thumb, most reputable Dane breeders will tell you that 10 years is a good age to expect from a Great Dane. Many of these people have Great Danes whom are 12, 13 and 14 years old.

Their life expectancy is fine.

Quote:
Also what is the best living environment for them (house, apartment?)
They can live in either. As long as they're taken out regularly for walks and exercise they are an incredibly adaptive dog and can learn to live in most any situation.

Quote:
I love to learn about different dogs and the lady struck our curiosity with the breed

(Hope I can hear some personal experience with the breed I've read a bit of conflicting info on them)

They're a truly amazing breed. Many people say that after owning one they could never live without one in their life. Be prepared though, they're a truly unique breed and are a lot of work; a lot to watch out for and look out for but the experience of owning a Dane is worth it ten times over.

Just make sure you can handle their size. They love to be with their people, I wouldn't advise owning a Dane if you can't leave it at home for less than 4 hours a day. They can't just stay in a kennel for 8 hours every weekday like other dog breeds; they need that interaction.

Good luck.