Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Felurian

You're going to have to take it by the individual dog, I'm afraid. I've had a couple of old fashioned GSDs who were fine with anything that was theirs to guard, including bantam chickens and ducks, but I won't tell you that any GSD is going to be that way.

DaVinci's APBTs aren't giving him trouble with going after the birds, but I wouldn't trust my little Tallulah with chickens for a nanosecond, lol.

My Fila? If it's her property, it's safer than you could ever imagine. Not hers? It's prey.

I had a blind Aussie who kept everything where it was supposed to be but wouldn't hurt anything that was supposed to be there.

Actually, an Aussie might not be a bad place to start looking. They tend to have more of an off switch than many of the herding breeds.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Just try me..

APBTs are TERRIERS... Unless you get one that has a serious lack of prey drive they are NOT a good choice. Yes some are good with farm animals.. but many kill farm animals.. Its like JRTs, some are good with cats, but others kill cats.

Stack the deck in your favour and get a dog that already lives with fowl, or get one that is known for lack of prey drive. I can tell you honestly that many of the livestock protection breeds DO make great companions.. if they are raised with contact with people. One of the happiest and sweetest dogs I know (named Angus) is a Maremma who's job it is to keep coyotes away from sheep. He is VERY good at his job as well as being loving and happy.

A maremma or a pyr would be an excellent choice, both being wonderful companions and superior livestock guardians. I am not sure a GSD would be willing to stay outside by itself, they tend to like to be with their humans.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Your Mom

My Greyhound was actually wonderful with small animals. My bulldogs . . . well if it moves it's gonna be dinner (so much for the "bred for plantation protection" bullshit).

I agree with others, it really depends on the individual dog.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Active Pup

I'm just worried that the herding breeds may try to herd a little too much. A dog that would help me round up the birds when I need it would be EXCELLENT, but... I've read that herders can become destructive when bored. Considering I work nights, I don't think a herder would be my best choice since I can't be out there during the majority of the day to keep it busy.

Edit: I know I said in my first post that a LGD probably wouldn't be a good match, I read a page on training anatolians for work with poultry/small livestock. I posted this exact topic on another forum and a few people said that LGDs can be as friendly as the next breed.

I guess I want something I can take on walks with me that will be a good companion (shadow if you will), but also be dependable and independent enough to handle being alone with the animals at night. (Which is when I need the most protection.) I've tried having fenced dogs and that just doesn't work. A barking dog can only deter so much when the predator can't even SEE it.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessLofts View Post
APBTs are something I was looking towards. APBTs, German Shepherds, or some sort of LGD.
APBTs tend to be quite prey driven in general. My pittie has killed 4 birds, a raccoon and a possum. There is absolutely NO way I would trust her alone around poultry. Actually, I would steer clear of most terriers to be honest. Plus, APBTs are not really meant to be guard dogs.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Active Pup

I frequent another forum (about chickens) and folks have had good results with Great Pyrenees and Anatolians for guard dogs. You are correct in assuming most herding breeds are not suited for round-the-clock duty, they are bred to be companions and work best in tandem with their owners.

I free range my chickens in an electrified poultry fencing with good results. Still put them up in the coop at night for protection.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

go to homesteading today and ask. as i understand a few of the folks there have LGDs that are both companion & general guardian of both property & stock.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

Perhaps a Collie, Sheltie, or English Shepherd.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco16 View Post
Micksmom I wouldnt say that siberians, are aggressive towards small animals it really depends on the dog, there more prey driven...
Yeah, poor choice of words on my part. That was what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco16 View Post
... But sibes would take off anyway with out a fenced yard.
Yeah, that, too.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Resident fainting goat

Well i have a german shepherd and ill give you my opinion.

I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER TRUST KENYA WITH A CHICKEN! she loves to chase, and chickens run around, they make noise, they smell funny and with all the feathers flying. its a lot for any dog to be expected to ignore unsupervised. She wont chase to kill to eat, but to her, its a game.

in my presence, with a firm "NO" or "LEAVE IT" she will ignore birds.. but without me around. not a chance.

a german shepherd. especially a young, drivey, athletic one. in my opinion, wouldn't be a good fit for protecting chickens.