Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I say Afghan! Selfishly... only because I don't remember seeing too many on chaz and I want pics LOL
Icy has afghans and a dobe.. I asked her to chime in on her thoughts on it. Maybe if you are a good girl she'll show you pics too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Blow. Me. Away.

You should...get a Staffy. They're the best. Such goofy babies.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Big Dog

There is no 'running' issue with afghans. If you have a tiny yard that is enough. Afghans are agile runners and turners. They are not as fast as other sighthounds but they can turn on a dime and they get a lot of pleasure out of it. They are also horribly lazy.

If you keep up with their coats it is not a big deal. A house pet can do a bath and brush every 2 weeks and stay gorgious. The hard part will be when they have the coat blow from puppy hood to adult hood. I shave half of mine down at this point because I just don't have the time to deal with the transitional grooming. Plus afghans have all sorts of amounts of hair and what most people think of an afghan hound coat is *not* what the average person can accomplish unless the dog is altered and then it will be a hair factory. I think about 90% of people clip down their afghans to some degree. I have six and one is bald right now, one is clipped, and 4 are in coat because that is all my current schedule allows and sometimes that can be a battle when the weather is crappy as it is now. Also carpet will destroy an afghans coat faster then almost anything else so if you have carpet your dogs coat may not get but so full and long.

I also have dobies and your boyfriend should try to work through his preconceived notions of the breed. Everyone has things they like and dislike about a breed. I don't care when people have issues with looks (positive or negative) I do as well. However, Dobies have such a bad rep and as a dobie owner it is totaly frustrating.

edited to add: Afghans are not big. A proper sized afghan female weighs about 40-50lb and is about 24-27 inches tall. A male is 26-28 inches tall and weighs about 55-65 pounds. A 65 pound afghan is huge. Some people are breeding these HUGE afghans these days. Ugh. They are not meant to be 70lb and 30 inches. Not a bit of agility in those dogs at all.

Another edit: They get along fine with small dogs and cats. When we moved in together my husband had a shih-tzu (who later had a stroke and died) and we have a herd of cats together. The biggest issue is Hollow who wants to sleep on and kneed the dogs and them not wanting it because they are bony.

And they are not aloof with their owners or 'sighthoundish' with their owners. They are actually super dooper affectionate and loving if not clingy. But to strangers they are cold.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Salty Sea Dog

Pictures would be wonderfull :P

thank you icy, i apreciate first hand experiences and its nice to hear they are affectionate with their owners...
i dont mind an aloof dog or one standoffish with strangers but i also want a breed i can have that bond with...

zoom: you hit the nail on the head. in our relationship i pretty much said "its me and my dog" then said "im getting a second crestie" he had no choice in the matter, but he accepted it and is getting on well with them...
he never wanted a dog...but i told him its me and the dogs or nothing at all and he has worked with that and is actually realy good with them...
i told him eventually i will get a 3rd crestie...he rolled his eyes and sighed but still no fight, no telling me "no you cant"...
and then i told him eventually id also like a big dog...but at that point id want him to enjoy and be involved with the dog (because he is softening and hopefully 4-5 yrs down the line, he migh be interested in being more involved) so would like some input from him on the kind of breed...
so i told him the breeds im interested in and hes very open to almost any breed but simply doesnt like dobies, or rotties...
he insists hes never had a bad experience with one, he jsut isnt "keen on them"...

If that only rules out one breed on my potential future list im ok with that...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

A mentally stable and socialized sighthound will not consider toy dogs as "prey". They are fully aware that a dog is a dog no matter what size it is. If you start with a responsibly bred sighthound and raise it with your Cresteds you should not have any issues related to "prey drive" with your dogs.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
Pictures would be wonderfull :P

thank you icy, i apreciate first hand experiences and its nice to hear they are affectionate with their owners...
i dont mind an aloof dog or one standoffish with strangers but i also want a breed i can have that bond with...

zoom: you hit the nail on the head. in our relationship i pretty much said "its me and my dog" then said "im getting a second crestie" he had no choice in the matter, but he accepted it and is getting on well with them...
he never wanted a dog...but i told him its me and the dogs or nothing at all and he has worked with that and is actually realy good with them...
i told him eventually i will get a 3rd crestie...he rolled his eyes and sighed but still no fight, no telling me "no you cant"...
and then i told him eventually id also like a big dog...but at that point id want him to enjoy and be involved with the dog (because he is softening and hopefully 4-5 yrs down the line, he migh be interested in being more involved) so would like some input from him on the kind of breed...
so i told him the breeds im interested in and hes very open to almost any breed but simply doesnt like dobies, or rotties...
he insists hes never had a bad experience with one, he jsut isnt "keen on them"...

If that only rules out one breed on my potential future list im ok with that...
If it makes you feel better, Robert saw my borzoi book laying on a table while we were dating and said:

"Can't we please NEVER get one of those dogs?"

I was disappointed, but he liked dogs in general, and otherwise was amazing so I married him. It was the right choice. When we looked into getting our own dog he wanted a GSD, so we got one. But then he forbade sighthounds all together because he didn't like how they "look scrawny".

Well, now we have a borzoi and he LOVES sighthounds. He's planning on a scottish deerhound of his own some day. If it's meant to happen, it will happen. Maybe when he's ready he'd be open to an uncropped dobe, as they have a houndy look?

Looking back on my uncles afghan, he was extremely affectionate to family. He would jump up on our shoulders and lick our faces when we came to visit, doing full body happy wiggles. He didn't like total strangers, but after being introduced and spending time with someone (a few visits in his case) would begin to accept them as worthy to rub his ears.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Icy has afghans and a dobe.. I asked her to chime in on her thoughts on it. Maybe if you are a good girl she'll show you pics too.
Can't you see the halo?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Active Pup

I don't know anything about your lifestyle, about your knowledge about dogs. So, I want to say, that you need to pick that breed, what are the easiest for you to grow it. I can say a lot about sighthounds- they are fantastic dogs, but not all of people can grow them... If you will buy sighthound- you need to be with that breed all of your life. They are different, not like other dogs. You need to be very strong and at the same time very soft with them.