Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Saint Bernard Mix Slave

Default Labrador Husky...........

This is so stupid. I was looking up some more stuff on Saint Bernards and Labs you know just reading up. Anyways when I searched the L section it came up with this as a true breed. Sad but true.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labradorhusky.htm
Yeah around here that would be called a mutt .
http://www.wdr.de/tv/service/tiere/p.../paco0108a.jpg
Just the begining of anouther designer dog.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Twin 2.0

I think they're talking about Labrador the region, not Labrador the fetching dog. So in that case it would be a purebred.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
It is not a mix between a Labrador and a Husky, but a pure bred dog native of Coastal Labrador
Exactly what they meant.

Quote:
Yeah around here that would be called a mutt .
http://www.wdr.de/tv/service/tiere/...r/paco0108a.jpg
Just the begining of anouther designer dog.
When you really think of it most of our so called "pure" bred dogs are actually just Mutts/mixed breeds. Most purebred dogs are mixed breed mutts which have been inbred and line bred to create a unique look and motor patterns. There are a few "Natural" breeds out there that are not even considered purebred dogs. For example a natural Newfoundland dog occurs naturally in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, they don't really resemble the "purebred" version of the Newfoundland dog...same with the natural Labrador retriever. Dogs evolved to suit their environments and evolved naturally to the environment, continent etc. They did not require man to help them evolve, when man saw these scavenger animals potential they started keeping some of these dogs as pets, perhaps a favored color would be better looked after and that dog would survive to breed. Man has only been really seriously breeding purebred dogs for only about 100 years. So, we should never really say "its just a Mutt"...some so called Mutts are actually natural purebreds and much more pure than manmade purebreds.
I often wonder how many people don't realize this? Sometimes when we have explained this to our customer's they are shocked...for some reason they think first came the purebred and anything other than a purebred is a Mutt, mixed breed or crossbreed...when in actual fact this is what mostl our purebred dogs are-mixed breeds. I could create a purebred starting tomorrow...inbred for a little while cross breed etc and just make sure it basically stays true for so many generations then ask for a kennel club to accept this new creation as a purebred. Which to many biologists is not a healthy way to breed animals. Hitler actually tried to create a purebred line of humans...the royal family ran into many genetic diseases due to purebred or closed stud book breeding (inbreeding). When you think of humans, we are all just Mutts, different colored races evolved to adapt to their specific environment..eskimos with slanted eyes to reflect the sun from the snow etc. When you take a eskimo and marry a white person...you don't end up with a mutt or a mixed raced person....you end up with a unique genetically stronger person

Last edited by Athe; 09-08-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Snow Girl

Ya that really is a purebreed. Unless a breed created around 1300AD is still considered a mutt >_>

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"