Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Are you dead yet?

My dogs are like this. Border Collies are their favorites.

Eve tends to get lip-lifty with new, pushy dogs at first, but she's always been okay with every Border Collie she's met, despite their behavior.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Top Dog

Our Newf's love other Newf's the male HATES other male Newf's as they are competition. Our Newf's love all other dogs, my Dobe mix loves all other dogs, my Rottweiler loves Shepherds, Lab's, Newf's but she gets very aggressive towards other Rotties.

For myself I believe it's what the pup imprinted on during the critical period of socialization. You may find dogs from big breeders who don't get their pups out in the "real" world these pups may find comfort in their own breed as they imprinted so only on their litter mates and Mom.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if this has been posted, but do you think it could have anything to do with the dog being raised with their littermates (of a similar breed to that dog.)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

My Boxer absolutly LOVES other Boxers.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Beagles are clannish. They speak one another's language...they do not get offended by long intense sniffing of privates or the need to be ON one another when sleeping. Many other dogs, and breeds...DO.

Doesn't mean they CANNOT interact with other dogs/breeds....you've seen mine. It just means they PREFER...to be with their own if they have an option.

I will go you one further S&S...my red Beagles always prefer to be with other Red's if given a choice...and my Tri's...with other Tri's. When I had a litter of 2 red and one tri girls...the 2 reds almost NEVER interacted with their sister...I always felt rather bad for her.
Oh so its NOT just my beagles! haha. I always tell people I got Kody when I lived in an apartment so I requested a "stackable" dog lol. I have noticed when I bring the beegs to the dog park if there are others, they all group up. Sometimes they even bring in a bassett or two. Until they see how long his ears are and then they SHUN him! Just kidding.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post

Keira, on the other hand, adores her breed! Probably because there is no other breed out there that seems to play like Dobermans do. Not that I've been around anyway. She can spot one a mile away and she starts wiggling and gets all excited. Well, until she gets close to one.. then she's very respectful, but still very happy. She's much more reserved around most other dogs.
My dobes have always recognized and acknowledged their own breed. Ilsa loved other dobes, Ronin loves all female dobes, and Kaylee gets all moon eyed and giddy around others of her own breed.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 PM
FluffyZooCrew

My guys all love each other, and I definitely see a connection between all my dachshunds, and between my beagles Bo and Katie, and especially Bo and Sam who is a beagle mix. Not so much between my Shih Tzu's, but Denver (foster pittie) and Blue have a very special bond, they absolutely adore each other.

No idea why they like their own breeds or how they recognize them, but it's something I've definitely noticed.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Let it be

My Border Collies love other Border Collies.