Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 05-03-2009, 03:04 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Quote:
Why should they have to adjust an adjustable harness?
To adjust the adjustment on the adjuster of the adjustable harness, of course!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Yeah but the issue is his weight fluxes and at the time the small harness fit too tight on his chest and the medium harness on the smallest adjustment he slipped out of. The medium harness is actually what our Terrier mix wears and we tried hers at the smallest setting (she has 2) and he got out and almost got hit by a car.

And both petstores refused to sell us the small one (but we tried Sashas puppy one and it was too small for him)
Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

You can always try a Puppia harness.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
You can always try a Puppia harness.
What is that?

We are actually having a harness specially fitted and made for him....but the man that does it hasn't been well so there had been a bit of a wait. My grandfather had his dogs made through this guy and he is getting Zack one too. Its actually made with the softest leather that it feels like cloth but its durable

He actually is making it from the leather.

We are thinking of getting him one that fits like a shirt with velcro as well.....Addies seemed to fit him. Since we can't wait forever for this fancy one
Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Have you ever just went to Petsmart or Petco and tried a harness on him? I've never heard of a pet store *refusing* to sell someone a harness... I mean, he's just a poodle, I can't see it being that hard to fit him in a harness. And different brand harnesses have different adjustment sizes, so you can try them until you find one that fits...
Old 05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
Have you ever just went to Petsmart or Petco and tried a harness on him? I've never heard of a pet store *refusing* to sell someone a harness... I mean, he's just a poodle, I can't see it being that hard to fit him in a harness. And different brand harnesses have different adjustment sizes, so you can try them until you find one that fits...
Thats where we went to Petco and Petsmart.

They wouldn't sell us the smaller one they said he was too big and then they proceded to demonstrate (all the while calling my male poodle a She and saying he needs one the size of my female Terrier mix referring to her as a he)

I'm still upset about that....

But they wouldn't sell us the small one.....and they tried on the medium size one and said he needed that one....well we already had that one for Sasha (she has two) so we gave him that one and tightened it up as tight as it would go and he still managed to slip out.

But my concern is not the harness because its not only walks its pretty much all the time he coughs like this.

when he gets excited, eats and drinks, wakes up in the night once or twice a night coughing......it seems like the smallest things trigger him to start coughing

But the vet swears up and down its just allergies (they havent done any tests or x rays or anything.

Like I said maybe I'm paronoid but he has been sick so much that every little thing scares me.

I'm so scared of losing him
Old 05-03-2009, 03:46 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Then I suggest taking him back to the vet, or a different vet, and getting a second opinion. They don't do x-rays for allergies, but they will if they suspect something else. Dogs cough for a reason, so I'd suggest x-rays to see if he may have a trachea condition, or some other condition that could be causing the constant coughing. In the meantime, him yanking himself on a collar when he walks isn't going to help his trachea.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

we are calling to set up an apointment when the open in the morning.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

On the harnesses--look at some of jessie's picture posts. She uses Puppia harnesses on her Chis and i have always heard that those are the best, most comfy harnesses for little dogs.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
FluffyZooCrew

I agree, I am going to get Gage a puppia harness soon. He's tiny, and I think he'll look adorable in one.