Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Felurian

I've had GSDs in some sort of pure breed or dominant mix since I was 12. Every single GSD is different. There should be some basic similarities, but you can't count on it as the breeding is just all over the place, so you take each dog as an individual.

I'd advise you to meet the dog and spend some time with her and try to have as few preconceived notions as possible. Typically they aren't difficult as far as being rescued goes, and most are intelligent enough to know what is happening. There may be some grieving for their old families if they've been close, so if you take her and she's somewhat unresponsive and acts sad for awhile, don't worry too much. Just give her time to grieve and let her know you are there when she's ready.

I would also suggest that if you take her, you have them bring her to your house and leave her with you, rather than you taking her from theirs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

One way to find out how the dog is temperamentally, is speak to their vet. WHile alot of dogs can be nervous nellies with a vet, it may give you some insight on her.

I would also want to know, how she is with kids, other dogs, cats, strangers? If you know these people well, then you should hopefully get straight answers out of them. I'd also ask if she had any health issues. GSd's can be prone to sensitive stomaches, epi, things of this nature.

I have had GSD's my entire life, grew up with them, I will always have a gsd in my house. The one poster was right, they are ALL different but share some basics. as in shedding,,they don't call them german shedders for nothing LOL..They don't require alot of bathing, but do require alot of brushing.

They can be an easy dog to live with or a pain to live with ) I would ask the family more info on her, also where did THEY get her? and I would also see if you could take her on a trial basis, say for a few days to see if she is a dog you think you could live with)

Good luck
diane
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

I personally love the breed , but agree each personality is different . The best thing is to meet and check out .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

germanshepherds.com: Viewing list of forums

That website is home to a lot of great people who know tons about GSDs.

Personally I don't have one but I love them from what I know. But they vary a lot. There are very different lines that have developed in the breed.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:57 AM
mikzmae

Thumbs up

wow German sheppards is very expensive dog but love to have it,dog is a good pet,its a friend that gets our stress sometime,actually i love dogs.nice post.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Top Dog

I think the temperament of a dog really depends it is raised. My friend has one and her dog is one of the most friendliest dog i ever encountered.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikzmae View Post
wow German sheppards is very expensive dog but love to have it,dog is a good pet,its a friend that gets our stress sometime,actually i love dogs.nice post.
Expensive? If you go with working lines you can get a really nice do for around 1000. If you take care of them and with a little luck you can have them for 12+ years. That is less that $7 dollars a day (not including food and health care which you would have with any dog). That is pretty cheap considering you will have a companion who will love you unconditionally and risk their life for you. They also lower your blood pressure.

Dogs in general are IMHO big bargains.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Puppy Dog

I'm no expert but since you mentioned being nervous I'd go with the first gut instinct. You have no experience with these dogs,thus I'm thinking you'd have a hard time being the leader. You might suggest the owners locate a good rescue group. This breed isn't for everyone.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

I agree with amstaffer,,re: expensive,,dogs in general are expensive, If I had all the money I've spent on my dogs in the last ten years, I probably could have paid my mortgage off and then some (that's including vet bills not initial cost)

I paid 1500$ for my working line girl, I paid 900$ for my aussie ..Initial cost is nothing compared to the lifetime of cost/committment..

I also wanted to agree with Rags,,IF you are nervous about owning a GSD,,then honestly you shouldn't do it. These dogs aren't for everyone, but again, if you know the dog, know the owner, that is a plus.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Aroooooo!

I can tell you from the other side of things.

I DID get a GSD when I shouldnt have. I was over my head. Did not have a stable situation for the puppy.

He was undersocialized which led to him not being able to go to the dog park.

He was undertrained which led to my couches and numerous electronics being eaten.

He was not disciplined which led to him killing 2 of my cats.

I did my research, I enforced NILIF, and I got to work.

The only problem I have with him now is him still not being able to go to the dog park, but I have realized he only has issues when Bailey, my beagle is with us. He is very protective of her.

My point is that you need to make sure YOU are ready for a german shepherd or as it has been said the dog will walk all over you. As mine did. lol

But here is Chance now.

He is also small at 65 pounds

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.