Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Boxer Buddy

I have a list of 10 (was 11) for IF or WHEN i have a litter. Will i take deposits, nope, will i guarantee anyone a puppy nope...

Personally i breed for ME first. I am super picky about my puppy homes, and if i don't think you cut it, you don't get one. It isn't first come first served, it is right puppy right home, or nuttin! They can stay as long as needed too!

I dunno, waiting lists are great, but in the end they are just that!

S

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Wookie Collie

I think waitlists are good, but certainly not required, necessarily. In Finn's case, his breeder is well known in herding circles. She had deposits down for four puppies, and when seven came, she had no issue placing the other three into homes doing working or sport.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think it discourages alot of poeple, but put on a HUGE waiting list and waiting and waiting and waiting

HOMES should be screened and carefully interviewed but BIG waiting lists have always been a turn off for me..
Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

I view waiting lists as more of an, I"m interested, call me when you have a litter on the ground or planned. But I wouldn't commit myself to getting a puppy or giving a puppy (if I bred) to a certain litter or a certain person on a list just because they were on a list.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

When I was breeding there were only a few around that did occasionally breeding and we all knew each other . We all basically bred for ourselves and spread the word . I never took deposits as I knew those on the list . One family through the years bought 3 generations and through them their friends and family members bought pups . I must have had at least 10 sold in Ohio over the years . I went into OFA and Cerf. as soon as they were available . Many didn't . I loved my breed and wanted the best home for them ! Even though I didn't show , their pedigrees had many Championships . Most just wanted a wonderful Golden !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

I don't do waiting list per say, but I do have a list of people that want to be informed when a litter is planned. I also don't breed to fill 'orders', I breed for myself and to perserve my lines.
Like the litter I have planned for this year, as soon as word started to get out that I am planning a litter the phone calls, emails or being approached at trials started to happen.
If people are serious and they have passed the screening, then yes I will take a small deposite.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

When I get back involved on a breeding level, it will be like starting all over... I have lost many of my contacts and will need to re-establish myself that way. I have a couple of possibles, but nothing serious. I will be breeding for myself and then placing the rest as I find suitable homes. I am hoping my new pup when old enough to breed will give me a more average JRT litter than Mindy did.. LOL
Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I think most breeders breed for themselves first - when they are ready for another dog, when they're pursuing a goal, et cetera. The wait list comes second...
I think you HAVE to think about your wait list second rather than first, really.

i agree with this...when i bred vixie it was because my mother wanted a pup from the litter as did i...
when i decided to follow through i then took names for the waitinglist and had 5 names that passed checks...
of that list 4 pups were born, not one i was looking for...mum got pick, then of the 5 names 2 backed out...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

I think it completely depends on your following .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

For me, a waiting list is more like "Let's keep in touch and I'll let you know when I have a litter coming". There is no commitment from myself or the potential buyer until I am certain I will have a puppy for them. After the litter is born and I know how many I have, I will then reserve pups for pre-interviewed homes. Since the pups are not graded until 7-8 weeks old, I do not promise a specific puppy to anyone until after I have made my selection. I have never had any problems with this method.