What breeds would you never own?

There are several types of dogs I wouldn't actively seek out, but no specific breed on my "never" list.

I prefer dogs that breathe normally, so brachycephalic breeds wouldn't be something I'd look for. Any types that are so over exaggerated they no longer function, like certain strains of english bulldogs or basset hounds, etc. I also prefer independent dogs, so most herding dogs are at the bottom of the list.

That being said, all dogs are individuals and if the right individual fell into my life I could learn to deal with not walking them on hot days, or learn complicated grooming techniques, etc. I'll probably stick with mainly hounds, possibly northern breeds and pariah types, and see what life dishes out.
That seems like a reasonable, rational approach to me, too. There are certain breeds I'd probably avoid or pass by unless the individual dog just grabbed me, but even in the breed I love there are going to be dogs that grab me more than others, and for different reasons. Like Opie. He's not a classic example of what a Fila should be, temperament-wise, but he's special, nonetheless. There's just *something* about him that sets him apart from other dogs.

Who knows, I might even run across a Border Collie who strikes me the same way someday, and I generally find myself unconsciously avoiding BCs. There's no rationale behind it; it's purely an emotional response. How could I possible love my spazzed out little Pit Bull so much, yet BCs, as a whole, just leave me uninterested?

What it all boils down to for most of us, I believe, is a largely emotional response.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That seems like a reasonable, rational approach to me, too. There are certain breeds I'd probably avoid or pass by unless the individual dog just grabbed me, but even in the breed I love there are going to be dogs that grab me more than others, and for different reasons. Like Opie. He's not a classic example of what a Fila should be, temperament-wise, but he's special, nonetheless. There's just *something* about him that sets him apart from other dogs.

Who knows, I might even run across a Border Collie who strikes me the same way someday, and I generally find myself unconsciously avoiding BCs. There's no rationale behind it; it's purely an emotional response. How could I possible love my spazzed out little Pit Bull so much, yet BCs, as a whole, just leave me uninterested?

What it all boils down to for most of us, I believe, is a largely emotional response.
And I think that changes too depending on your experiences. I was never remotely interested in papillons until we had Beau. They honestly didn't do a thing for me looks wise, but now after having them and learning about the breed I think they're gorgeous! Likewise mastiff types didn't do much for me until recently. I blame my friend's bullmastiff and all the filas on chaz. They really intrigue me now, dunno that they'll ever be suited to my life, but I have a real appreciation that I used to not have. I've also known other people who said never to small dogs and due to health/aging reasons end up with small dogs and fall in love with them.

My preferences have changed a lot as I've gotten older and owned more dogs. There are still breeds I've learned a lot about that don't do anything for me, but I've been thinking there's no breed I think I've written off completely. I'd much rather have a dog of any kind than no dog and dogs are individuals.

By the way, Renee, you're crazy because BCs are awesome! :)

F

FluffyZooCrew

I agree with both Lauren and Renee. I definitely feel emotional response plays a large part in it.

I have a fear of chows. I'll never own a chow. Does that make the chow breed, as a whole, a BAD breed? Absolutely not! Just not a breed *I* want anything to do with.

As far as other dogs I probably won't go out actively seeking, are miniature poodles (yet I want a standard, LOL), min pin's, pomeranians, and cocker spaniels just to name a few. If one fell into my lap, needed a foster home, ect. I'd be happy to. But not a breed I'll go out actively searching for.

But then again, like Lauren with the paps, I honestly never wanted a dachshund. My mother had one for 15 years, it died a couple years ago, and that dog was satan in a dog suit. It was human aggressive, food aggressive, toy aggressive, dog aggressive, cat aggressive, hated to be held, snuggled, or even petted. It was a "loner", barked like crazy, and even after years of working with it, it still never became house trained. My mom loved her dearly, despite her serious issues, but it reaaalllyyy turned me off from the dachshund breed. I was like, "holy mackeral, is this what they are like??"

Years later... LOL

We have Rosie, Mattie, Callie, Gracie, and Gage. I *love* them. But I never planned on ever getting a dachshund. Callie was a rescue that needed an immediate foster home/permanent home, as she needed immediate vet care and was headed to the pound. I knew the second I held her, I was keeping her. She was the sweetest, most dog loving, human loving, playful little bundle of love I'd ever met. I was hooked. Then along came the rest of the rescue weiners, and they are the same exact way.

So emotion, experiences, ect. definitely play a role in everything.

Did I ramble? Oops, LOL.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I guess any dog that doesn't fit into my lifestyle - which generally is the small inactive dogs - pekingese etc.

I do not like dogs with flat faces (I do love love love boxers, but they have to have a snout, not flat faces) - bull dogs, pugs etc are just tooooo snorty and uncomfortable looking for me..... I also can't stand dogs with deformed legs - again, bulldogs, badly bred corgis/JRT's etc.

But nothing really breed specific.

I don't know what will end up in my lap next... all I know is it will be a rescue, and will be one I fall in love with for some illogical reason and nothing to do with looks!

Paige

Let it be
I'm picky when it comes to the size of a dog. I prefer medium sized dogs between the weight of 20-50 pounds. Anything bigger is too big, anything smaller is too small. I've broken that rule once (Miley) and will probably break it again, but all in all I'd rather stick with my medium sized poochies. There are plenty of those kicking around.

I'm adaptable. I had a lazy Sheltie and was lazy. Got two nutter BCs and got active. I adjusted to having a little Shih Tzu cross. I like dogs. Nearly any dog can fit into my life as I make my life work with the dogs I have.

Doberluv

I wouldn't seek out on purpose to own a hound type. They generally have nice, amiable dispositions but I like more dependent breeds or breeds that were bred to work closely with their owner or dogs bred to be companions. I also am not crazy about smooshed in faces. I feel sorry for bracheocephalic breeds and think they should be modified, which I think some breed clubs are starting to do and I just don't find them very attractive. Most of the achondroplastic breeds I wouldn't seek out either. Not all, but most. But like it was said, if one fell in my lap, I certainly wouldn't dismiss him. I do have a "visiting" foster beagle. LOL. He's cute and sweet as can be, but just not my breed of choice because, I guess he can take or leave people.

keathjohn

my list goes on,.because i love and like dogs

mini poodle
English Bulldogs
Saint Bernard
Bichon

Samoyed

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
I've been watching this thread since day one and I cannot for the life of me come up with one breed I would never own - I LOVE dogs!....all dogs
Big Ones
Tiny Ones
Fluffy Ones
Hairless Ones
Smushy-Faced Ones
Drooly Ones
Dainty Ones
Active Ones
Low-Energy Ones
Independent Ones
Kissy-Face Ones
......I'm doomed!

BostonBanker

I just had to go through 15+ pages to remind myself what answer I typed the last time this thread was active.

My answer actually still holds true: I wouldn't own most breeds, or at least, wouldn't seek them out. There are an awful lot of breeds I adore, but just plain wouldn't be a successful owner for. Nothing against the breed, but I know what my needs are and have a fairly good idea of how most breeds would fit into my lifestyle. Sure there are exceptions - I certainly never thought a hound breed would work for me, and Meg couldn't be more ideal. But she's an exception to her breed.

I've seen labs described as "stupid," "without personality" "mindlessly obedient," "psycho," and "aggressive."
While I am one of the first to say I would never go out seeking a lab, I certainly wouldn't refer to the breed in any of those ways! Just a bad match for me personality wise.

elegy

overdogged
most of them.

i don't have any interest in owning the vast majority of (true- ie not bully breeds) terriers (the only ones i'd even contemplate would be jrt and patterdales), scent hounds, mastiffs and other giant breeds, spitz-type breeds, retrievers.

my tastes have definitely changed over the years, as i've gained more experience with dogs and as my needs and interests have changed. just a few years ago i never ever would have entertained the thought of a border collie. who knows what'll happen a few years from now.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I wouldn't seek out on purpose to own a hound type. They generally have nice, amiable dispositions but I like more dependent breeds or breeds that were bred to work closely with their owner or dogs bred to be companions. I also am not crazy about smooshed in faces. I feel sorry for bracheocephalic breeds and think they should be modified, which I think some breed clubs are starting to do and I just don't find them very attractive. Most of the achondroplastic breeds I wouldn't seek out either. Not all, but most. But like it was said, if one fell in my lap, I certainly wouldn't dismiss him. I do have a "visiting" foster beagle. LOL. He's cute and sweet as can be, but just not my breed of choice because, I guess he can take or leave people.
I looked up what achondroplastic means, but I'm not really picturing any specific breeds...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
There are a lot of breeds that I think are too much dog for me--Akitas (which is too bad because I think they are one of the most beautiful breeds out there), Cane Corsos, Dogos (another breed I find gorgeous), Presas, dogues, bull mastiffs, filas, rotties, chows etc.

I tend to lean away from the very independent breeds as well.

I don't know that I could do a breed that required lots of grooming/professional grooming. I don't think I would seek out a wolf hybrid either. I've yet to come across what I would consider a "reputable" wold hybrid breeder and the temperaments seem to be hit and miss.

I would not subject a border collie to me because I doubt I am interesting enough to keep one occupied and know that the dog would probably be more intelligent than me--it would a very frustrating life for the dog--lol.:rofl1:

I also don't think I'll actively seek out a breed that tends to be very prone to dog aggression.

I think that I'd be very cautious about bringing a very tiny dog into my life--Sally tends to be a bit rough with small dogs, Jack frequently doesn't watch where he's going and I'm just a clutz....

BostonBanker

Ok, that's what I thought, but I've been known to be wrong on occassion...
Well now, aren't you lucky to have me around? I've never been wrong in my life. Well, there was that one time, of course, where I thought I made a mistake, but it turns out I was wrong.

Actually, that was a total guess! Still waiting for someone to confirm it!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, I can still say without a doubt that you will NEVER EVER EVER catch me owning either a Wheaton or Wire-Haired Fox Terrier. Ever.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Boston, youre right. Its Bassets and dogs like them. And I think that any dog that has that Basset type set to the front legs could be considered that.

I'm not positive on this, but I think the English Bulldog is considered achondroplastic as well.

Hillside

Original Twin
Ok, I can still say without a doubt that you will NEVER EVER EVER catch me owning either a Wheaton or Wire-Haired Fox Terrier. Ever.
I'll second the Wheaton, there is one across the street that tells Saga and I, most vocally that it would eat us every time we walk out the door.

I dont think i would ever turn down a dog in need of a home because of the breed. Im really not too picky about them BUT, i would have to say very large dogs. Like a saint bernard, or a great dane. Not because i wouldnt mind having them, but theyre a whole lota dog. I really think i wouldnt be able to handle a dog that big.

Members online

No members online now.