Potential foster home?

CaliTerp07

Zach and I have been discussing it for quite a while, and we've finally agreed that I can look into fostering a dog. Lucy LOVES other dogs, and I am totally not ready to commit to owning another one, but we are currently in a position where I think we can foster one for a little while.

I'm really excited :) I sent off the application to the rescue group this afternoon. I have to be approved and go through a foster orientation, and then they'll match me up.

Any words of wisdom from previous foster parents? I fostered numerous rabbits when i lived at home, so I know the risks of falling in love with your foster babies, but that's a definite no-no right now.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
im a foster failure. lol i always end up keeping but some great tips are:

-crates are a life saver. gives each dog their "room" and a spot to call their own
- the more training you can do, the better chance this dog has at getting adopted.
- check with your rescues rules.. do they pay for vet care? or emergencies?
- check with what the rescues rules are as far as "good homes" nothing hurts more than the dog youve loved and cared for going to a home your not sure about. ask them if foster parents have a say in where the dog goes

im usually a wreck with giving foster dogs up.. but nobody takes it worse than kenya does. which is why i stopped fostering, she gets attached to dogs so quickly and gets depressed when they leave. s

CaliTerp07

im a foster failure. lol i always end up keeping but some great tips are:

-crates are a life saver. gives each dog their "room" and a spot to call their own
- the more training you can do, the better chance this dog has at getting adopted.
- check with your rescues rules.. do they pay for vet care? or emergencies?
- check with what the rescues rules are as far as "good homes" nothing hurts more than the dog youve loved and cared for going to a home your not sure about. ask them if foster parents have a say in where the dog goes

im usually a wreck with giving foster dogs up.. but nobody takes it worse than kenya does. which is why i stopped fostering, she gets attached to dogs so quickly and gets depressed when they leave. s
I was wondering about that. Definitely something I'll ask the group. If it's too hard for Lucy, I wouldn't want to do it.

This rescue is awesome about giving fosters a say in permanent placement. They do the initial screening of applicants to check references, but I get to do the home visit and have final say.

They also pay for vet care so long as it's at an approved vet.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I think it depends on the dog, and how long you foster. if you foster puppies for example, your foster term will USUALLY be for maybe a week or 2. So these make great short term playmates and when they leave, dogs are usually OK with it.
Older dogs take longer to get adopted, so are there for longer. Some times your dog and older foster really click, plus being together for months or however longs it takes is sometimes tough. but many people ive found think its easier that when one foster gets adopted, to bring another one in immediatly, so the dog isnt lonely

CaliTerp07

Yeah, I told the rescue that while I was prepared if the situation arose to keep the dog longer, for the first time I wanted a more "adoptable" dog, so I could plan to have it around 3-4 weeks. Obviously, I don't know how long it will take, so I'm WILLING to go longer...I just don't want to bring in a sanctuary care animal right now.

AND OH GOSH, NO PUPPIES!

I don't want to have to housebreak a dog. I'm find with doing a refresher, and I'm expecting a couple accidents here and there based on all the change and whatnot, but I don't have the time/knowledge for a puppy.

(even though they are ridiculously cute)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
they are ridiculously cute so you dont kill em during potty training lol
this is why i never foster/adopt puppies.. its just too much. midnight potty breaks and lots of "NO NO NO! NOT THERE! GO POTTY OUTSIDE!" lol

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
As far as potty training, an older foster can be even worse.

They may have come from a situation where they were never potty trained... how they think it is right to go inside and are no as easily taught as a puppy may be.

So, I would still set yourself up to be potty training a dog and then consider yourself lucky if the dog comes trained.

Members online

No members online now.