Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Just try me..

hmm this is interesting...

http://publications.royalcanin.com/i.../p18_graph.gif

so it even depends on breed.

So dogs are more basic. Then why do many breeders and groomers use a vinegar rinse?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Yorkie Love

the link isnt working... but I was going to say before that that it probably depends on breed... I would *think* that on a shorter breed dog it wouldnt matter as much what you use.

I still think a groomer should use dog products.

I mean I pay over 50 dollars a dog, you can go buy some dog products... especially if your reasoning is because its cheap.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Just try me..

I would rather they use what works best on my dog. If a human product worked the best (I know of some top show kennel people who swear by some GOOD human products) then I would like that used.

The whippets coat is very interesting to work with. THe BC does much better with dog vs people products.. but its because of his coat ... not his skin. The JRTs can use anything but the people stuff seems to keep their skin more moisturized in the winter (we heat by woodstove.. its very drying)
Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Not a lurker

I use the Mane and Tail for horses shampoo and conditioner on Lacey, and just the shampoo on Lily...I like it, I have also used it on my own hair before.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm on a boat..

I could be mistaken, but I thought someone did a comparison once and found that the ph of dog and human shampoos actually were the same. I'd have to dig around to find it though

As for my pups, I don't often use conditioner on them. The rare times I do, I just use a human product.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grab01 View Post
I could be mistaken, but I thought someone did a comparison once and found that the ph of dog and human shampoos actually were the same. I'd have to dig around to find it though.
I read the same thing somewhere.... In fact, people's pHs vary greatly depending on the individual, and so do dogs'. So personally I probably wouldn't have any problem using gentle human products on my dog (not, like, Selsun Blue or anything, but Suave is pretty gentle). My only concern is that these products may not have been tested on animals, so I'm not sure if I'd be for a grooming shop using the products.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

Kenya doesnt get bathed unless she gets into something nasty and when i do bathe her, usually i try to use dog shampoo but i rarely have any so most of the time its my shampoo/conditioner lol it makes her coat look/smell great. but when using human products i am more careful to RINSE RINSE RINSE RINSE alot more thoroughly

But, my groomer uses dog products, i did mention one day about using human hair products and he said he DOES NOT, not because they dont work, but because if something goes wrong (dog is allergic, harmed, poisoned w/e) due to the shampoo/conditioner, the owner is sueing YOU the groomer, and you obviously cant sue the hair care company because it is NOT meant for animals.

if i take my dog to the groomer, as long as she looks, smells, feel GREAT, i wouldnt care what they are using as long as its safe. but if they are using human products, i would like them to tell me.
a tip to all those who send their dog to the groomer, ASK WHAT THEY ARE USING.. many times if you give them a better brand to just use on your dog, it ends up as a better RESULT and you save some $... kinda like taking your own nail polish when you get a manicure
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Personally, I wouldn't use Suave on my own hair so no, I wouldn't use it on a dog.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

I know a lot of people who show that use pantene and other human shampoos. I have used a human shampoo called nature's gate which is organic on my own dogs with fantastic results

As far as a grooming shop we only use dog shampoo's, if there was ever a problem (which many dogs due to environment and genetics are so sensitive this day and age) it's much better to tell owner you used a specific good quality dog shampoo/conditioner. There are a few breeds we never use a conditioner on. Plus, the dog conditioners we use are diluted sometimes 21 to 1 (around that) it turns out in the end to be cheaper.

There is one dog shampoo Oats fur coats that we have had nothing but bad results with the exception of one dog that we order in only enough for that owner.

For the grooming shop and home we are more concerned about the environment and use only organic shampoo's/conditioners with environmentally friendly ingredients and natural ingredients instead of chemicals etc which you find in cheaper human shampoos. That is more of a concern of mine than PH balance

Quote:
But, my groomer uses dog products, i did mention one day about using human hair products and he said he DOES NOT, not because they dont work, but because if something goes wrong (dog is allergic, harmed, poisoned w/e) due to the shampoo/conditioner, the owner is sueing YOU the groomer, and you obviously cant sue the hair care company because it is NOT meant for animals.
I don't think many dog shampoo companies are going to back you up if you were ever sued either.

Last edited by Athebeau; 04-12-2009 at 10:10 AM.