Please settle this argument re: dog toys!

My spouse says that if you use tugging type toys with a dog, that it will make them behave in a more aggressive way.

I am of the thought that it would help a puppy to burn off some energy, so long as you keep the game low key.

I thought that aggressiveness is an inborn trait that perhaps can be changed to a small degree, but not totally.

I await your opinions (pant, pant) and then I can put this disagreement to final rest!!!

Thank you pup people!

I play tug with all my dogs, but then they get to bite people for fun too so maybe I'm not a good example.

but seriously, you start the game of tug and you end it on your terms and give the dog regular boundaries and it is a great game. Fun for you, fun for the dog and can be a real bonding experience and if your dog really likes it, it can be a great reward for obedience training.

Dekka

Just try me..
If that is so then all the top trainers of agility and flyball dogs are teaching dogs to be agressive!

LOL seriously though no it doesn't. Tug is a co operative game played by 'friends'. Its not a contest. If you watch dogs playing tug often if one lets go (or you let go) the dog will bring it back. It takes at least 2 to tug. Its a great reward for training and is bonding. Just make sure there are ground rules then everyone one will be happy.

elegy

overdogged
tug is a great game but make sure you teach the dog to release on command. make the game contingent on the dog controlling himself. all of my dogs find tug to be fun and rewarding and none of them are aggressive toward people.

bnwalker2

My house is a zoo
I play tug with all of my dogs. They all know to let go of it when I ask them to and I will frequently ask them to take short breaks to do commands/tricks, etc. I think it's a great game for them and don't believe it makes them aggressive at all.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I play tug with all my dogs, but then they get to bite people for fun too so maybe I'm not a good example.

but seriously, you start the game of tug and you end it on your terms and give the dog regular boundaries and it is a great game. Fun for you, fun for the dog and can be a real bonding experience and if your dog really likes it, it can be a great reward for obedience training.
A lot of SAR people use tuggies as a reward for finding someone, and the dogs don't get to bite people for fun so it's okay. You're still a good example. :p

bubbatd

Since Goldens are soft mouthed ... I never played tug with them , but let them play amongst themselves .

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
My "vicious" pitbull and I play tug frequently. It's fun! She also plays it with my 2 year old who sits down and loves being dragged on his butt across the kitchen floor...she lets him win frequently. Lord knows if she didn't want to let him, he'd never get it, but as soon as he gets it from her, he brings it back, and if she gets it from him, she brings it back.

Yep, so aggressive. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
we allow tug here, but when i say "ENOUGH" she lets go or i get up and walk away and the game is over
we dont play it that often, because she much prefers fetch

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I always play tug with my dogs. I even let them win the game and carry the tug back to their crate. :D

Tug is a great way to be interactive with the dog and allows you to play with him while keeping him focused on you and engaged with you - ideal for training.

Aggression is aggression and playing is playing. The dog I have with the most aggression has the least interest in playing tug (or playing anything else).

Maxy24

I love tug, my dog never knew the "out" command and he never got aggressive. Tugging does not make a dog aggressive with you, why would it, it's a game? So long as you the dog understands that hands are not to be touched while tugging I don't think there would be any problems unless your dog is already a resource guarder. I would teach an "out" command for convenience, it makes life easier in case he takes some object and thinks when you go to get it it's tug time.

I love tug, it's my favorite dog game and i think it will be somewhat of a requirement for the dog I adopt. There was a pit bull at save a dog that was the greatest tug partner ever.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I use it with Buster because. a. He loves it and b. it helps him get more confident.
We have rules (drop it the second I say so, watch your teeth with my hands etc) but he really enjoys it.
If I drop it and let him win, he runs straight back to me and tries to hand me the tuggy again.

Doberluv

Good link there. Yeah...tug is a game but all games have rules. I teach "give" as one of the first puppy lessons and split things up when we play tug. Most of the time I let the dog win and I am sure to throw in a few "gives" along the way just to keep him humble. Then I give the toy right back for another round. ("take") It's definitely not a cause for aggression or dominance. Dogs and humans have played together for eons.

how about a toy to wrestle around with your puppy. only play with that toy and your puppy will know its playtime when you grab the wrestle toy.

Members online

No members online now.