What animal do I speak of,
Whose love is so unique?
If you've truly known one,
you know of whom I speak.
There is no creature on this Earth
who will ever make you merrier.
The animal I do speak of,
it's the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Although I do not own one, Alot of my life revolves around this Breed. I actually just speant a full hour Giving Facts about this breed to some knucklehead that called them "mean dogs" . All i can do at this point is educate others, which the little knowledge i know.. When somebody says something bad about A pittbull, I get very defensive and angry, So this poem touched me deeply when i read it. Hopefully it will do the same to others.

That verse has a lot of truth. My little APBT, Tallulah, now shuts down most of the time if we're around people. She's been rebuffed and rejected so many times after people realize she's an APBT . . . even after they've just been down on the ground with her, playing with her, fending off licking and exclaiming what a sweet little dog she is and how they'd love to have one like her . . . and then they ask the fatal question . . . "what kind of dog is she?"

I really limit her exposure to people now unless I know I'm around those who love her for what she is.

Bunny82

That verse has a lot of truth. My little APBT, Tallulah, now shuts down most of the time if we're around people. She's been rebuffed and rejected so many times after people realize she's an APBT . . . even after they've just been down on the ground with her, playing with her, fending off licking and exclaiming what a sweet little dog she is and how they'd love to have one like her . . . and then they ask the fatal question . . . "what kind of dog is she?"

I really limit her exposure to people now unless I know I'm around those who love her for what she is.
^This

Makes my heart really sad. :(

I loves Tallulah. You can tell her that and give her a big hug from me too. :)

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
That makes me sad too.. The world Is filled with to many naive people.. Beleiving the media :(

Boxer100

The world Is filled with too many people breeding APBTs for the wrong reasons like dog fighting and to look tough on the streets. Media has nothing to do with it. Media just reports what it sees.

Last edited:

Dekka

Just try me..
Media just reports what it sees.
Really.. and what planet do you live on? Sure not this one!! If you believe the medial only reports what they see I have a bridge to sell you.

Many cases dogs who are NOT APBT get labelled as such.. it sells more papers. I have seen this happen first hand.

Boxer100

Well, that is some misinformed or not reputable media then if they do not know what is an APBT. I'm talking about reputable media.

Dekka

Just try me..
This is reputable media. At least as reputable as media gets for the most part.

The one I was witnessed to (a girl that a friend of mine baby sat was killed by the neighbours mastiff. It was reported as Pit Bull Kills Child. It was much better news source than say faux news lol.

The thing is most people can't tell a pit bull from many other breeds. AND news papers are in the business of selling news papers. Pit Bull bites sells more papers than Lab Bites. A sad but true fact.

Anyway why would you come into a nice thread like this just to stir up people and say silly things (like reputable media.. if that isn't a contradiction in terms I don't know what is)

Out of curiosity what is your idea of reputable media? Do you know how stories work and what the associated press is?

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Yeah, reputable media...uhm, oxymoron much?

The media reports anything that gets reader/viewer attention. I'll tell you a little secret. When my husband was deployed a few years ago their base was attacked with a mortar. The media didn't report it for 3 weeks (I was on the phone with him when it happened and heard it all and he called me back later to tell me what was going on) and when they reported it, it was nothing similar to what my husband, standing 20 feet away from the explosion, said. When they reported it, they said it had happened "yesterday" - sure, if yesterday constitutes 3 weeks ago.

It was on all the major news channels, CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC etc...not a single one of them had anything close to what happened. WHy was that? Because what really happened wasn't that interesting, a mortar was lobbed onto the mess hall (hubby worked in the mess hall) and it didn't go off, nobody was killed thankfully.

You say reputable media, I say there's no such thing. Media is just government puppets to keep the peace or rile up the general public...whichever suits them that day.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
This is reputable media. At least as reputable as media gets for the most part.

The one I was witnessed to (a girl that a friend of mine baby sat was killed by the neighbours mastiff. It was reported as Pit Bull Kills Child. It was much better news source than say faux news lol.

The thing is most people can't tell a pit bull from many other breeds. AND news papers are in the business of selling news papers. Pit Bull bites sells more papers than Lab Bites. A sad but true fact.

Anyway why would you come into a nice thread like this just to stir up people and say silly things (like reputable media.. if that isn't a contradiction in terms I don't know what is)

Out of curiosity what is your idea of reputable media? Do you know how stories work and what the associated press is?
This is sadly true.

When there was the case of the woman in France who got the face transplant due to her dog ripping her face off it took *forever* for it to come out what kind of dogs did it. Turns out it was a lab, but that was not reported right away. After it was reported the "reputable media" suggested that the lab was actually just trying to wake his owner up and managed to literally rip the lower half of her face off in the process accidentally.

Right:rolleyes: I guess I should be thankful that my lab tries a few other methods to get me out of bed before he goes straight to the face-ripping-off option.:yikes:

If that were a pit bull I''l give you 2 guesses as to how fast the dog's breed would have made headlines.

The fact is that most people (as in witnesses to dog attacks) have no idea what dog breeds are what when they are in a normal situation, much less a stressful and scary one. For years my mother was convinced that Sally, the dog in my avatar, was a rottie--to the extent that she bought us rottie playing cards for Christmas on year because it "had Sally on it." Sally is 55 lbs, and if you cannot tell from the pic, brindle--nowhere near what a rottie looks like. A good number of people who have met her actually think she is a boxer.

Jack, the dog in my siggy, has been IDed as a rot/lab mix (he is all lab) by a dog OWNER at the dog park. Jack is also not very big--only about 60 lbs and not even the color of a rottie.

Honestly, most people I run into wouldn't know a pit bull if it walked up and licked them in the face.

Members online

No members online now.