Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

Dobies were bred to be much more "sharp" in temperment than your average dog. They were supposed to be a protection dog in which sharpness is a desired quality for those truly in need of a protection dog.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

the few that have been tried at traditional PP training like schutzhund & ring have been found wanting in many ways. most serious trainers in PP consider them junk crosses bred by BYBs.
ask about them on any serious protection board or even on the bandog board.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Twin 2.0

Yeah I don't think they're quite all they're cracked up to be. Mostly I believe it's the visual intimidation factor that lures people in.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

I can honestly say I've never come across one in training ever and we've come across tons of dogs from northern sled dogs to a golden retriever to the typical bully breeds, gsd's, mal's, rotties etc.

From the videos they have promoting them, it seems pretty typical of those living on the fringe and selling a story not reality. that video on the bottom is pretty pathetic. If we trained like that or had competitons like that i'd be embarassed for myself, if my dog had biting behavior like that I'd find a new trainer. Not impressed at all.

You know you're low on the totem pole when even bandog boards don't think highly of you.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Dobes were like that? Really? I didn't know that.
Not like the Canis Panther, but yes, Dobermans used to be much sharper than they are now. Ferry v Raufelsen was a notorious dog (Westminster winner, BTW) for being... um... well, Ferry was a complicated dog.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

NO info on health testing, NO customor testimonials, NO pictures of the parents or anything about them

all it is "WE WILL SELL YOU A BIG TOUGH DOG.. and if they arent trained as you would like boot camp is $2500!

well, on the bright side.. they beleive in positive training in their training classes (in their classes..not at boot camp) and your deposit($500) for a pup goes to a charity org
Old 03-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i met one..what i would consider a "well bred" canis panther, his parents were both ofa'd and cerfed and he was an amazing dog, very beautiful...amazing personality but strong, sharp and short tempered, he was extreemly aware of his human family, very protective of family and home, warey of strangers even when introdiced by his humans, he was extreemly well trained and you could go into the house IF invited by any of the adults...when strangers or outsiders (friends or not) were in the house he would spend the time lay quietly but constantly on watch by his people.
strangers however....forget it...outside of the home he was extreemly defensive of his people and inside the home if someone even attempted to get past the fenc line it was like seeing a bezerker...

the one in that vidoe looks mixed/badly bred at the very least.
as a breed ive heard many things but all say the same, their temperments are terrible "delicate", a well bred dog can be an amazing animal to behold, but should always be respected for the power they have...
a badly bred one however (particularly those bred by idiots like this breeder, who breed "protection dogs" and oversized mosnters) are like having a live bomb sat in your living room, its often not a case of if they will go off but when. this is NOT a breed that requires any special breeding for added agression...

many canis have a tendency to bond to a few particular people...
badly bred canis are terrible prone to bonding strongly to some family members yet deciding other family members are a threat.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Wow, a very informative post. Thanks Foxywench!