Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Puppy Dog

I only have experience with a few breeds of dogs.

yorkies - definitely NO

poodles - they're fine with it
maltese - okay too.

pomapoo
Old 03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm All Ears

I think it gets overdone too. I wouldn't recommend any dog to someone who was gone all day every day. However, we can leave our dogs all day on occasion and they're absolutely fine. I do think certain breeds may be more likely to develop SA.

Now, having a dog with SA is very different. Summer is miserable home alone, and I'm miserable leaving her home alone. No matter what I do it sends her into a panic. She doesn't need ME though. She's fine as long as someone is home, which could be me, another person, or another animal. That's why I really want to get another dog (well, one of the reasons).
Old 03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
overdogged

i leave two pit bulls and a border collie pup home alone for ten hours a day. now i'm home at lunch, so that ten hours is split. there is the rare occasion that i leave the adult dogs home for a full day, but i try very hard to avoid it.

like others have said, it's just important to make sure they get all kinds of exercise and attention to wear them out when you are home. right now i don't have much of a life outside of working and wearing out steve. but that's what i signed up for, so while i occasionally get tired of throwing the ball and throwing the ball and throwing the ball, that's my end of the bargain.

the little ancient poodle i used to have could not be left. she had SA and was a freaking mess. i was lucky in that i could take her to work with me every night and either kennel her or have her out with me. i wouldn't be able to own a dog like that now.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I think people get too hung up on the fact that dogs shouldnt be left alone, I see it on rescues sites all the time, "this dog needs someone who stays home with them all day"... really?! who stays home all day? While I dont agree with leaving your dog for 10-12 hours every single day with no chance to get out... I think most dogs do fine being left alone during an average work day. Saying you will never leave your dog alone is unrealistic for the majority of people.

Armani goes to sleep on my bed when I leave, he always has access to his toys, food, water, and his wee wee pad but I think he sleeps most of the time.

There are individual dogs with SA who dont do well left alone... Elle had SA but as soon as my parents got Bella it went away... so I do think some dogs do better with a "friend"... I would like to get Armani a friend when the time is right. But all in all I think as long as you work out other things for them dogs can be left alone and be fine.

Totally agree. My chihuahuas sleep for most of the day anyway, whether we're home or not.

If being home all day was a requirement for most breeds, well, not too many people would be able to have pets.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep