Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 PM
pitbullpony's Avatar
pitbullpony pitbullpony is offline
BSL Can Be Beaten
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ON, CAN
Posts: 711
Default

I remember seeing a photo of the dogs that Pops refers to; Tazi or Taiga(n) dogs. There is a hunting festival in Kyrgyzstan; with falcons and hounds; this picture showed a dog that was large, powerful/haired and could've been "similar" to what your acquaintance is mentioning.

I think this link is worth a check; Anatolian Perspectives - Comparative Analysis of Two Different Strains of Anatolian Shepherd Dogs: Yoruks and Kangals by Guvener Isik

AFGHAN HOUND BREED HISTORY - KYRGZYSTAN has another photo;

I wonder about the dog getting so heavy; I don't think they'd do too well hauling ass over the countryside at that weight; but hair often gives the illusion of heft.

Here is Kim (Central Asian Shepherd) in shape; short summer coat

Here she is looking very "sight-houndish" in silhouette; and I'll tell you; she acts very sight-houndish.



I could see where possibly; before big hair was all the rage; where you could be told that "this dog here" is an afghan hound; and it could look similar to these types.

I don't know how heavy Kim is; but she is; 28.5" at the shoulder.
__________________

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM
pitbullpony's Avatar
pitbullpony pitbullpony is offline
BSL Can Be Beaten
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ON, CAN
Posts: 711
Default

Fitmin

Looking at these dogs; they appear to be the same height as Kim; or more; so they should be very sizable.
__________________

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
pitbullpony's Avatar
pitbullpony pitbullpony is offline
BSL Can Be Beaten
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ON, CAN
Posts: 711
Default

http://proeco.visti.net/naturalist/cynology/rflc.htm
__________________

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Amstaffer's Avatar
Amstaffer Amstaffer is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 3,276
Default

Interesting links and info.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM
FoxyWench's Avatar
FoxyWench FoxyWench is offline
Salty Sea Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,308
Default

the only giant afghan i know of was a afghan x great dane mix...other than the sheere size of the dog he lookled like a badly bred afghan...
__________________

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

properly tazi is the term for turkish sighthounds, the term is generally used to describe the asian family of sighthounds that includes the russian borzoi & taigan, the afghan (which looked very similar to the turkish mountain bred tazi before the show fancy overdid the coat) the saluki, sloughi & azawak. there are significant differences in type & personality that allow knowledgeable houndsmen to easily tell the tazi stock from the european stock of sighthounds.
FTR asian peoples have used their sighthounds to hunt everything you can think of and some things you wouldn't. this includes snow leopards.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-14-2009, 09:57 AM
YodelDogs's Avatar
YodelDogs YodelDogs is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 479
Default

A 170 pound Afghan Hound? I don't believe that for a minute. Afghans are deceptively light for their size. Even a very large male is only about 60-70 pounds. It's all that hair that makes them look bigger.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Amstaffer's Avatar
Amstaffer Amstaffer is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee WI
Posts: 3,276
Default

I think it is a 99% chance my associate is a pathological BSer and 1% chance that his family actually had one of the breeds mentioned by the fantastically knowledgeable chazzers. Especially the "sage kooche" dog which I had never heard of but could fit the bill but I doubt one ever made it to Fox River Valley of Wisconsin in the late forties or 1950s.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,478
Default

its probably the same stuff as the "SHILOH SHEPHERDS" huge designed dogs..meant to be somewhat like a breed (except with no drive, and totally unworkable) like making a giant beagle with no sense of smell lol . OF COURSE when you were little these dogs seemed bigger.. YOU WERE A CHILD! lol these "breeds" IMO are even worse than the doodles.. just another designer breed.

i think this is a mix of this guy having a BIG afgan hound, plus him being a kid and seeing his dog alot of bigger than it actually was
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site