Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Question Just for fun what are good breeds for someone who has had these breeds

This is really just for fun more than anything.

Okay what is a good dog for a person who has had these types of dogs.

Between my husband and I growing up we had:

Myself: (All these dogs are still in the family except 1 toy poodle who passed away at age 14 and the Shih Tzu and the Spitz mix was my grandparents dog and they had to give her up when my grandmother got sick)

Shih Tzu
Toy Poodle (2)
Lab
Lab mix
Beagle
Maltese
Spitz mix (I think)

My husband:
Minature Schnauzer (passed away at age 14 not that long ago)
Old English Sheepdog (passed away at age 6)

Together we currently have:
Jack Russell Terrier mix
Minature Poodle

What types of dogs are good with this kind of dog experience.

Just curious

(Chances are we will adopt another mutt from a shelter or get a purebred from a breeder but that is way off in the future.....our poodle Zackie is doing better)

Breeds we like: (I know they are all very different dogs...we tend to adapt to the dog we have) (doesn't have to be on the list)

Dalmatian
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Shiba Inu
Alaskan Klee Kai
German Shepherd
Australian Kelpie
Australian Cattle dog (Blue Heeler)
Entelbucher Mountain Dog
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
German Shorthaired Pointer
Beagle
Smooth Coated Border Collie

We do not have any kids but we hope to one day. And we probably will not get another dog until that kid is older (there are a few other factors that might make it happen sooner but I don't want to think about those right now.....too sad)

We are somewhat active. We try to do 2 one hour long walks a day. We are getting a sand box for digging. On the weekends we go for a 4 mile walk both on Saturday and Sunday. We are getting our current dogs in agility in the next year. We will be living close to a lot of land soon.....relatives with a farm will be near by and there is lots of area for us to take the dog to run. We are working toward a house with a yard (should have that soon)

My schedule is flexible and can be home to let the dogs out midday.

Anyways Just a little about us.

I want a smart dog. Pretty easy to train but we don't mind a bit of a challenge. We want a dog that is friendly with us, our family, our dogs but is protective and is a little cautious of people we don't know. But not so cautious the dog would bite. A dog that would alert us. Also this dog would help out on the farm so I am thinking more of a herding dog. I love the ACDS but the Dalmatians have stolen my heart. (but I hear Dalmatians can be a real pest)

I don't want a dog that is going to have to go to the groomer every few weeks (I'm already doing that and don't want to have to do that with two dogs.....I want a pretty self maintaining dog like my JRT mix......she basically sheds a little all year....I bathe her once a week. And brush her maybe 2 times a week, though she really doesn't need brushed.

I want a dog that has a lot of energy but can simmer down a bit after our walks and while inside.

I wanted to add a few dogs we won't have:

Of the ones we've had we will not have again:

Shih Tzu
Maltese
(may or may not have another poodle)

Other dogs we won't have: (just because they aren't right for us)

No giant breeds (This includes: Great Dane, Berenese Mountain dog, Saint Bernard, etc)
Boxer (I have been around too many boxers....they are too hyper for their size)
American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or American Bull dog (Breed bans all around us)
Doberman (banned around us)
Rottwieler (my husband is terrified of them Though I fell in love with a Rottie mix)
Alaskan Malamute
Jack Russell Terrier (I have a mix but purebreds are too hyper)
Shetland Sheepdog (too much grooming)
Collie (too much grooming)

I'm just listing a few

Would like a dog between 20 and 60 pounds.

Would like to go with a purebred from a breeder. I rescued a my mix from a shelter. Listed as a JRT/Chihuahua (no she won't be a big dog) we were expecting around 15 pounds. We ended up having to move because she ended up over the weight limit at our apartment.......things are pretty unpredictable. I only adopt mutts though I get my purebreds from a reputable breeder. But that is just me.....thats what we do. I mean I have a very sickly purebred dog that didn't come from the best breeding so I want to be sure next time........I mean you can never be sure but so many reputable breeders healthtest. Many of the dogs we like are harder to come by. I mean what normally happens is I get set on a particular dog and then I end up right back down at the shelter.

So we will see what happens
Old 03-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

Need I type ?????? LOL !!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I didn't have time to read the whole post, but saw that you listed Collie as too much grooming, so I had to toss this out there. They come in a smooth coat also, just like the Border Collie.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

What about the Boston Terrier? They are active outdoors, and fairly inactive indoors. Also, they do not require much grooming. I would suggest a boxer, but then you already said that boxers are out of the question because they are too playful - this is why they call them the Peter Pan of the dog world.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Let it be

Just thought I'd point out Australian Cattle Dogs are brilliant... but not the easiest to train. Correct me if I'm wrong for those who have more experience with the breed but I've met my fair share and each has been very stubborn, free spirited dogs with a mind of their own. Not saying you cannot train them by any means. But they certainly aren't as eager as Border Collies.

That being said I cannot wait for the day I can have a blue heeler.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Sit! Good dog.

We had a collie, and she didn't take much grooming at ALL.

Just a little brusing occasionally of her fuzzy legs to keep out knots, but that was it.

She did shed a lot though.

And they have tons of energy. But she was never "hyper"... just full of energy...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Well, Dals can be a handful but no more so than many of the working breeds. They definatly need some sort of training and exerise. They will alert you when needed. Some are more cautious of strangers than others are. They do pick things up quite quickly (and sometimes its things you wish they wouldn't), fairly easy to train BUT they tend to think about what you ask them before doing it. Basically they can have a stubborn streak to them.
Most Dals that are pests are dals that where not properly socialized and/or trained OR a bored dalmatian.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Puppy Dog

Smile What about a Golden Retriever?

I just did some research on Golden Retrievers and posted an article about them on my blog. They seem like a really good breed, smart, easy to train, loveable, friendly, hard working, etc. Females may be in the weight range you are looking for. You can read the whole article at Pick of the Litter. They're also supposed to be good with children and are active but not usually hyper unless they don't get enough exercise. I think they're pretty too. There's a picture of one on my blog. If I wasn't afraid of big dogs, I think I would want one of them.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Top Dog

I can truthfully say that I've never had a hyper Golden .... it's all in the breeding today .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 AM
BusterLove

Harry is half BC, but most of his attitude is ACD. He is stubborn but amazingly smart, for example. He knows he isn't allowed to go near cyclists (he likes to chase and nip) he was out walking with mum one day offleash, he was about 20m in front of her. A cyclist came around the corner up ahead, he looked back to mum, but didnt see the point in coming all the way back to her just to turn around and go back the way he had come.

So he stopped, walked about 5m off the side of the path, sat and waited for the cyclist to pass. He's extrmley intelligent and loves to learn, but you really have to show him a point to what your teaching him.