Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-23-2004, 10:43 AM

ANYTHING you do to socialize you dog will be to your advantage. I know...my GSD is NOT socialzed, and it is a huge problem for me. I had a very bad experience lately when the UPS person came. In my case..AND I know there are some folks that will not accept this.....I live totally rural and have not been able to do the socialization properly. Now, I have to take responsibility for a generally sweet dog....to be frightened of strangers, maybe to the harm of him or others. I feel strongly that my Ham would bite...out of fear, and IF..OMG IF he were ever loose and lost, someone would probably shoot him. I urge you to do everything you can to socialize your pup. This is something I will always regret, and be leary of in my otherwise adorable dog. Take your dog EVERYWHERE. Do ANYTHING. I don't get out much.......and for those that don't forgive me my 'excuses'.......well, I accept that you are right. I wish my Ham would have come in contact with lots of people/animals. He didn't. But as long as he is with me only......he is the very best of the best. I log on here to learn...but this is an area I have failed miserably in.......don't you do the same. Get your dog out there.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Felurian

Debi, when Hammie's mature, trust me, he's not going to be doing things out of fear. Fearful German Shepherds are rare and are usually the result of abuse - and we all know Hammie's not abused (unless you count Addie being a harridan every now and then - lol). You just keep working with him, teaching him things; this will build his self-confidence and will help him in many different situations.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-23-2004, 07:06 PM
Sheltered

Quote:
Origionaly posted by Renee750il
Debi, when Hammie's mature, trust me, he's not going to be doing things out of fear. Fearful German Shepherds are rare and are usually the result of abuse - and we all know Hammie's not abused (unless you count Addie being a harridan every now and then - lol). You just keep working with him, teaching him things; this will build his self-confidence and will help him in many different situations.
Debi, I agree with Renee 100%. It's never to late to work on training and socializing your dog. Trevor, my foster (3 year old GSD/Rottie X) is very distrusting of strangers. But his lack of trust does not come out as fear, it comes out as agression, and he would be extremely dangerous in the wrong situation. Having lived in a cage at the shelter for the past 2 1/2 years, I understand why he acts this way, but I do not accept it. I am working with him constantly, bringing him new places, getting him close (but not too close) to new people, and he is slowly making progress. Trevor is absolutely wonderful with me, and I trust him 100%, but I want him to be able to face the world without fear (weather it be my fear, or his).

We also have a 6 year old Pit Bull at work who was abused by her previous family. She will do anything she can to avoid contact with a stranger, but if she is approached, she often feels the need to defend herself. Thankfully we have been careful, and she hasn't had any "incodents", but it makes her very hard to adopt out. Again, she is absolutely wonderful with someone that she knows; she'll just about drown you with kisses, loves belly rubs, and lives to play fetch. She's an absolute mushball. I have been working with her (btw her name is Sasha) for the past month on trusting people again, and to my absolute delight, I was able to introduce her to a stranger without a problem a few days ago. She actually approached him with a wagging tail!

I know I'm rambling here, but I just wanted to show you that it's never too late for progress to be made. Get out there and show Hammie the world! If nothing else, it might help you sleep better at night knowing that if (heaven forbid) he's ever faced with an unusual situation, he won't harm anyone.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Active Pup

Thanks Rene.

She's 4 months old now, I can't beleive how hyper she is, doesn't matter if she's tired or not, there's no settling her down when were out, its fun.