Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromohiousa View Post
Raw?? So I can go to a butcher shop and just get raw bones for her? I don't have to worry about things like salmonella or anything like that?
My husband was worried about this, and then I pointed out that these are animals that eat poop. lol.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

I bought Padfoot a 3 foot long bone with meat on it from Wal-Mart for Christmas. It's slowly disappearing, LOL
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Big Dog

I am gonna second or third the bully sticks. My guy absolutely loves them. I tried giving him raw bones, but he won't have anything to do with them. He just licks them and then ignores them. But, he can go at the bully stick till I take it away from him. From what I have read about bully sticks they are the safest and healthiest alternative to raw bones. Don't give Greenies or Nylabones or rawhide or anything like that. Either they are not digestible enough or they can splinter and becoming choking hazards or in the digestive tract. I would definitely recommend bully sticks, just remember to remove it before it gets too small and the dog tries to swallow it.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Bailey gets beef ears (less fatty than pig) or bully sticks. He looovves them both (he gets "bored" with any other treats, but never these two).
Old 02-01-2009, 05:43 AM
BusterLove

I've never worried about problems with raw. My entire life we've fed mostly raw food to all our dogs (i'm almost 19 now) and the only problem I can remember form all that time was when Mac got gastritis last year. Which was easily fixed, we just stopped buying meat from that particular supermarket chain (meat we had brough previous had messed with my mum aswell)
We have fed off meat int eh past aswell, Buster has a sensitive stomach so I won't feed him anything that smells bad unless I want to be picking it up off the floor and wiping up stomach fluid a few minutes later.

Our lot love soup bones, not hugley meaty but good for an hour or 2 of good chewing. Also marrow bones, turkey necks, chicken frames etc etc.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 AM
and Fozzie B!

Raw bones are EXCELLENT for getting all of the chewiness out of your pup.

Raw knuckle bones were a life-saver for me, during Fozzie's teething phase. Make sure they are the knuckle bones, as in the knee of the cow, not the tiny round femur bones full of marrow. And make sure they are covered in cartilege/tissue, and you throw it away once your dog gets to the boney center. It should take several hours of chewing before then, though. And you can just toss it in the freezer in between chewing sessions.

Besides that, as was mentioned, bully sticks, cow tendons, deer antlers (I just got into these), lamb ears (way less fattening and easier to digest), etc, are great chewies, too.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 AM
bjdobson

I also feed raw.

Raw bones are awesome.

Mine will go chew on old ones just to pass time at times. Titan is a brand new pup and he's not yet chewed anything he shouldn't and is learning not to even THINK about it! LOL
Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 AM
pointer

My dog is chewing on a raw pork hock right now, leftover from her breakfast. I feed raw also, but some dogs really need to chew. Marrow bones from the butcher are good, but too much marrow is tough on a little guys stomach, so I would freeze it for your little guy. Bully sticks, and bullwrinkles, and flossies (dried beef tendons) will keep your little guy busy, but have to count as part of the meal too.

Even ice cubes are fun for a dog to chew on, as is a frozen knotted washcloth. You can also soak a rope toy in homemade chicken broth and they will chew on it for hours.
Watch out for any pet store product that has been smoked or bleached. Rawhide swells when wet, that's why it hurts their bellies. Pig's ears are very high calorie, and may give your dog the runs, same as too much marrow. Some dogs like to chew on carrots.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 AM
bjdobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFireflyGirl View Post
Marrow bones from the butcher are good, but too much marrow is tough on a little guys stomach, so I would freeze it for your little guy. Some dogs like to chew on carrots.
I remove the marrow most of the time. I freeze them then pop the center out. That leaves a bit for them for flavor then they're happy to just chew on the bone.

Mine LOOOVE raw carrots!!!!!!