Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 AM
Fishies!

Default Cite Sources!

While I'd expect the manufacturers to skimp on details, even other food cites lack any citations. If someone is playing scientist and decides not to cite their sources, I am going to go and ignore everything you have to say on the topic. Are you talking about personal observations? Other websites? Making things up as you go along?

Why is it important:

In one case the Dog Food Project cites a source, it turns out it uses the information incorrectly. Under digestiblility, the cite lists protein sources by the digestibility in percent. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=labelinfo101

Unfortunately, the cite it links to is also not referenced except by "Nutrition Sources" and and "personal communications with nutrition experts" http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/nbasics.html

Whats different? THOSE ARE NOT "PERCENTAGES". They are a score with the most digestible material given an arbitrary value of one. They are all based off that, and egg whites are not 100% digestible. This is really a small error, since the ratios should still be related, but errors like this do begin to cast doubt on sites... and posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 AM
*Biter*

Um, maybe take it up with Mordy, the owner of the Dog Food Project site? She's a pretty knowledgable person, and pretty thorough. If there's something you're not satisfied with reading on her site, I'm sure if you talked it over with her she'd value your input.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
bjdobson

Mordy is educated in nutrition and is continuously updating her information. She cites information sources where applicable. By the way, she is not "playing" scientist, she has education to back up her information.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

Read the ingredients. Reading the back of science diet just makes me realize it's not something I want my dogs to be eating.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com