Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
FluffyZooCrew

Question Feeding Raw -- Once A Day? Or Twice?

Hi guys! I've been doing raw with my crew a few months now, but am still getting the hang of things. I've been feeding them only once a day, but recently was told that twice a day is better. Is this true, or is once a day sufficient? I am feeding about 2% of their body weight at mealtime. I only feed one meat at a time, but alternate throughout the week (Ex., chicken on Monday, beef on Tuesday, ect.). The meats included right now are chicken, rabbit, turkey, lamb, and beef.

Also, if I am to feed twice a day, is it 2% of their body weight EACH time, or that 2% broken up into two meals?

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Active Pup

How old are they? If they are still pups then 2 times a day is recommended. If they are older then once a day should be fine.

The best test is always how the dogs look and act. If they look lean and aren't loosing any muscle mass and have plenty of energy then it's all good!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Your Mom

I feed mine twice a day. I do RMBs in the AM and then my meat/veggie/organ mash at night. I would say especially if you're doing mostly a mash (pre-made or homemade) you should divide it into two meals so you don't have such a huge lump of mush sitting in the stomach.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Naturally Natural

My dogs are raw fed and only fed once a day - I feed mostly as close to whole prey as possible and the only things they get ground are certain items I can't find cheaper any other way - some beef and venison (and tripe because I won't deal with whole tripe). Either way, I tend to feed these slightly frozen so they have to chew

They eat once a day, in the PM.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 AM
just call me Nilly

When Sierra was younger I fed twice a day, but it's been once a day (at night) for about 7-8 months now. She's doing fine that way, and it's easier for me.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Is it better to feed once in PM? I usually feed in AM.....

Just out of curiosity
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Crazy Dog!

Dizzy, its personal preference. I feed at night because while I'm at work, my dogs are crated. I don't feel they need to eat and then sit in crates. I prefer to come home and play/exercise etc, then give them a little rest and feed.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 PM
pointer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyZooCrew View Post
I've been feeding them only once a day, but recently was told that twice a day is better.
Also, if I am to feed twice a day, is it 2% of their body weight EACH time, or that 2% broken up into two meals?
First, my dog is still a puppy, so I am feeding twice a day, but not the three times that was recommended to me. When she is older, I will be feeding once a day, as I think that is healthier, and much easier for me. I will only have to clean the floor once instead of twice, don't have to pack up uneaten food for later, and will have a better idea of what she's eating. Remember, wild dogs eat when they can, gorge themselves, and then sometimes go days before finding their next meal.
Second, feed half of the amount at each feeding if you want to break it up into two meals. I feed more than 2%, as my dog is still a puppy, and an active one. Closer to 4% actually on the busy days, 2% would be for an older, inactive dog, or maybe a very large one. Adjust it according to how your dog looks, if you can feel bones, then add more, if your dog is overweight, take some away.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

I feed all mine once a day. We fed Daisy 2x a day till she was a year old or so because she needs so much food.