Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Twin 2.0

Ah, I missed that second bold. Reading without glasses and not much coffee yet. Yes, I know it's almost noon.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Just try me..

I read it as shut down too. You can be a teenager AND shut down lol.

I would keep a training log so you can see how fast you are going. Are you rewarding enough? IME if the rate of reinforcement isn't high enough with the teenagers they tend to get shut down (or stress up)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM
BSL Can Be Beaten

I think we have it!

Got to some playing with Dora, bit of flirt pole (too icy, not too much), bit of clicker, squeaky toy for drivey recalls; she was really up! Got a nice finish by clicking it in two steps; we'll work on all the way round next.

Class was awesome; she was really good; even got to anticipating the recall a few times. Stand was best in the class; sit-stays were perfect, down-stays were perfect, leave-it for food was perfect. She was a bit sticky (20 second delay kinda sticky) on her first few downs; she got a minor leash correction; and then a decent reward for compliance and she was good the rest of class.

I talked to her breeder and she said;

1. NILIF always applies to Boerboels; continuously throughout their lives.
2. Dora's dad was a very serious mastiffy-type dog (Dora is as serious as a heart-attack); but very handler compliant; voice corrections pretty much all that was necessary.
3. Dora's mom tried on her big girl panties at about the same age; so nice to know.

Dora and I will be attending a few classes with big dogs; she has no problem with the puppies; just wants to play; but I need to see her in an enclosed space with adults (one advanced class has a Mal in class; that should be a treat); where we either do focus work in the corner; or we actually participate in class; or a bit of both. Dora will be at the Sportsman's show in Toronto; I'll be showing her in conformation; so I need to know that she will resist eating the larger dogs who she sometimes has issue with.

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.