Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Are you dead yet?

Default So proud

I don't know if many of you know about the troubles with fear, weak nerves and aggression that I've been having with Ripley for the past year or so (Actually more like 10 months.) but today I saw the biggest sign of improvement yet.

Today, I took Ripley along with Dakota, to go play in the park.. While I was playing frisbee with Dakota, a man and his young daughter approached me and the man asked if his daughter could pet Ripley. Before I could say "No, he bites", the little girl lunged forward and started patting Ripley on the head. I was expecting her to draw back, screaming because she'd been bitten, but instead she just kept on patting, and Ripley just sat there like a perfect gentleman. No growling, no showing of teeth, and no looks of major stress or discomfort.
I know to those of you who have never had an aggressive dog, that it doesn't sound like a very big deal.. But, it's HUGE to me. 6 months ago, this dog would growl at any stranger that even LOOKED at him, and often tried to bite those who tried to make contact with him. He had to be crated when we had visitors, I couldn't bring him out in public.. If it had been 6 months ago, and that little girl would have done that to him, she would have drawn back a mangled hand. Things got to the point where i was seriously considering re-homing him, because I didn't think I could ever change or improve his behavior. I was ready to give up on him.

He and I stuck it out, though, and the little improvements are what kept me motivated to keep working with him.. But up until now, nothing like this has happened. He has never allowed a total stranger (And a child, at that) to just get right in his face and start petting him.. Seeing that he was comfortable, and how happy that little girl was, just instantly made all the frustrations of working with him worthwhile. He's come such a long way and I have learned so much from him, I wouldn't trade my experiences with him for the world.

When the man and his little daughter were leaving, he mentioned to me what a 'awesome little dog' I have. He's absolutely right.

This thread's kind of pointless, I know, but it's been on my mind all day and I just had to share how proud I am of my little Ripley.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

yay good job. i use to have a dog that was abused and i was so proud when she was finally allowed to be touched by other people
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Wow that's awesome!!! Your hard work is paying off! Good job!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Stare at my avatar....

That's great! Congrats to you and Ripley!

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-24-2005, 07:52 PM
I W A L R

Good Job!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Are you dead yet?

Thanks, you guys!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Felurian

Ripley had it in him all along; it just took you to bring it out

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Twin 2.0

Huzzah! Things like that do just take time, but once the magic happens it's all worth it, like you found out today.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Fila Love

that is so sweet. I bet it made your heart leap for joy.