Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM
tessa_s212

Default old dog needs new food

Summer, our nearly 13 year old rescued blond, long tailed cocker spaniel is getting up there in age. She's been losing some weight, and doesn't always seem to like to eat what she's currently on. They've been buying Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Senior.

Parents aren't doing extremely well financially, but will try to afford whatever it is she may do better on. Anyone have suggestions for goood food for senior dogs that may be reluctant to eat?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

Can they try just adding some wet food to the mix? When our Bedlington got to be about 15, he started to be less enthusiastic about his food. We'd add a bit of canned and some warm water so it made a "gravy" and made his food softer, and he did great on it. He kept eating and kept his weight on until organ failure finally hit him a year later.

Also, how are her teeth? I wonder if it could be something as simple as a sore tooth she doesn't want to chew on.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
tessa_s212

Her teeth were the first thing I looked at. They were cleaned within the past year, but are back to not goood condition, and was the first thing *I* suggested, before changing food. But as far as food is concerned, if there is something better but still in the same price range of Chicken Soup, I'd love to know this so I'd have something to combat the "feed her science diet or iams!" that my vet may push if food was mentioned.

Because her teeth are not in the greatest of condition, is surgical teeth cleaning something we should plan on along with soft/wettened food for the remainder or her years? With her getting up there in age, all that anesthesia just scares me.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
swimming upstream

Although I switched the dogs off Canidae--Traveler seems to do best on Canidae Senior Formula--I moisten it with some water and a little olive oil--and she has been doing well with this for the past year. She is 13.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
tessa_s212

Before the change, I so badly wanted to put my dogs on Canidae. I've heard some horror stories with diarrhea :s

Did she do well on it only before the change, or after it as well?

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
swimming upstream

she was on the ALS formula, but then had some stomach issues (before they changed the formula)---we had to vet her (Science diet--from Vet) and then put her on the Senior formula of Canidae. That has been for the past year--and she has done well.