Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 PM
Wild Dog

Question cleaning ears

I visited shelter few weeks ago, and there was brother-dogs in same cage.And one of the brother was licking/cleaning the other dog's ears.
And today i saw My 5yr dog licking/cleaning my 3yr dog's ears.
Is that supposed to mean anything?

Like, meaning that the one that's licking the ears is saying, you are the boss;you are better than me or somethin lol ?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I want 2 b a dog 4 a day

All of my dogs lick each others ears, don't know what it means, but I don't think it's that one is the boss since all of mine do it. Maybe they just think the dog needs a bath? lol i don't really know

www.dogster.com/?245038
www.dogster.com/?245035.
www.dogster.com/?245031
Old 08-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Big Dog

I always think that one animal grooming another is just a sign of connection/affection.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i didn't read it anywhere so this is merely my observation..puppies lick lips because it encourages the mother to regurgitate a normal weaning process..and i think it is a baby thing for them still to "kiss" mama on the mouth..but older dogs kiss ears like we kiss lips..i hate two dogs that adored each other and would tenderly wash each others ears and nibble down the neck..Bronki when he grew up also loved his mama's ears. Dogs often will go for human ears the same way and i don't just believe it is for the colesterol of the ear wax inside..it is my belief that licking ears is a true expression of affection. The other benefit is the dog saliva is a natural antifungal (something i learned from Renee) and might help in the fight of yeast..but that is purely a guess. I have noticed that i have been fighting swimmer's ear with Mary and Victor lately has been very aggressive about licking her ears...so that is where i got my theory there.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Corgi bum

I agree...I think it's affection....liking eachother. My two cats do that to...they clean eachothers faces, ears, and heads.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Manchesters

Default Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyse718
All of my dogs lick each others ears, don't know what it means, but I don't think it's that one is the boss since all of mine do it. Maybe they just think the dog needs a bath? lol i don't really know
It means that there is an attractive aroma coming from the ear. Not necessarily an infection....just something that the other dog finds intriguing. With all the doggie ears I have around here, mine seldom ever try to clean each others ears. Once upon a time, Sharkie got an infection, and the other dogs were trying to dive beak first into her ear, roflolololol. I checked, found the gunk in it, and cleaned it 3 times a day with peroxide followed by 1/2 vinegar 1/2 alcohol. Cleared up in about 4 days.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Puppy Dog

I have 3 GSD's. My !2 year old GSD Lacey who is the boss, washes Merlin (8yrs) & Morgan (2yrs) ears. Sometimes she will make a sound and whatever they are doing they will stop, walk over and lay down have to have their ears washed. Morgans not too keen sometimes and shuts his eyes tightly but he always has it done.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Wild Dog

haha thanks you guys
My dog is still cleaning my other dog's ears