Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default Fetch

How can I teach my shelties to fetch? I throw the ball and they will run to it. They seldom pick it up, and if they do they just pack in to the other end of the yard and lay down with it! I bought a "chuck-it" when I had Chance (border collie) It was a great way to give him a work out! I wish I could use it to help exercise my shelties.
They will sometimes fetch plush squeaky toys. They will bring them back to me about 35% of the time.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Red, posted a thread about it somewhere, but right now I cant find it.. (well I think she did)

I wish I could help, but Chloe naturally did it, and I didnt have to teach her lol
Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 PM
RedyreRottweilers

First, work your dogs ONE AT A TIME. ALL my dogs fetch, but it is fruitless to try to really train (for me anyway) with more than one dog out at a time.

Build drive for the dog to return by having MANY of the same toys, playing tug, giving high value rewards in exchange for whatever you threw, etc.

And....

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31776

Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Tahnk you, Red! That's WAY better than the way I've been doing it. Looks like I've got a new game for the dogs to play tonight.