Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 AM
<----Thanks Allie

my food processor said I can't use raw meats in it.... what do you do then?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Just try me..

boil the livers first (I do that anyway to get rid of some of the fat)
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Bored Now.

Exactly how smelly is this stuff?

Maybe that will ensure I get the kitchen to myself for once.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Not bad to make. Pretty fragrant while baking.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Fragrant as in 'delicious' or 'evacuate the house'?

Also where does one come across a tub of chicken livers? A grocery store? Would the kind that don't come in tubs (like, packaging) work too? Is there a brand to look for?

Oh and what is a 'clove'? Just a piece of garlic like a piece of onion?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Big Dog

A bulb (or maybe it's a head) of garlic is what they sell at the store and it will separate into individual cloves. The clove needs to be peeled-you can mash it with the side of a knife and then peel the skin off.

I wonder if you could just use about 1/4 tsp of garlic powder instead...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Ok I made these tonight. They came out OK I guess. Probably could've made them better (less flour) but the dogs have no qualms over eating them.

It makes quite a large batch of them. I didn't take pictures but it filled a 12.5" diameter cookie pan with about a half inch thickness (so about 245 in^2 of treats).

The smell wasn't bad at all. It would've been good had I not known what was cooking; however, the sight of watching liver get pureed to a liquid then mixing that in a bowl plus my initial dislike for liver to begin with...well I wasn't interested. Dogs were though.

It came out of the oven with a crusty outer surface and a chewy inside. It was kind of hard to cut though so I just pulled reasonably sized pieces off.

Other than that the only 'downside' was that the tub of livers had a gall bladder in it that I had to remove. In doing so I accidentally punctured the sac so there was a bit of bile mixed in with the liver. I thought it was pretty cool but others disagreed.

Only ran into two snags while making them.

1) The recipe doesn't call for salt but the instructions do (had to buy salt).

2) Also it doesn't explicitly say to line the pan with aluminum foil so when I got to the part where it said 'use the foil to flip' I had to move the mixture to another (lined) pan. Now, according to a (female) friend of mine this is 'common sense' but this recipe needs to be guy-proof. Luckily I decided to spoil the ending and read ahead before putting it in the oven.

Oh and for the garlic conundrum I used some minced garlic that I found at the store.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Big Dog

I don't know how many times I've gotten halfway through a recipe only to find it needed something that wasn't in the original ingredient list. Eventually I figured out that I need to read through the whole thing before I even start. Yet I still manage to mess them up more than I'd like...