Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Navin's birth name was Al.

At some point around 6 months of age, I came upon him looking in amazement at his erect...

I said, Al, what are you doing? The look he gave me was of utter shock and awe...and surprise. It reminded me of the movie the Jerk, when Steve Martin wrote his Mother to tell her about his discovery of his 'Special Purpose" which he discovered in the back of a circus trailer with Patty, the first girlfriend before Maire.

So, his name became, Elsmoor My Special Purpose, with a call name of Navin--after the movie's title character Navin R. Johnson.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Big Dog

I named Altos after his bark..Sorry, he was an alto for sure
Old 01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

A friend of a friend had a Doberman called "Danse", pronounced obviously as dance, and I loved it. It was different and pretty. When the time finally came for me to get a puppy, I tried and tried some more to come up with something that not only suited her, but also went along with Tango's name. I couldn't think of any dance or music themed names I liked, and then I remembered Danse the Dobe... so Dance she became, and it's suits her perfectly.

Spring came with her name. It was the name she was given when she was born -- her temporary puppy name. When Lisa decided to keep her/grow her out, she never changed it. It took some time to get used to for me, but I don't mind it now. I'm still not a huge fan of it, and there are a few names I would've loved to have called her, but I didn't know if I was allowed to change it. And it wasn't a big enough deal to me to ask if I could change it.

My parents chose Keira's name. She was going to be "Kiara", but my dad said it had too many syllables or something and argued against it. Then we were watching something on TV and Keira Knightley's (actress) name came up, and dad said "hey, what about Keira? I like that." Mom agreed with him, and so Keira she is.

Winston came with his name. I'd have never dreamt we'd have a dog called Winston, but he responded well to it and it suited him... so it stuck.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Ares - I always liked Greek mythology, plus at the time, I was a big fan of Xena, and Ares on that show was uber cool

Morgan - she needed a name that was part celtic (for the corgi) and part cowgirl (she was a rough and tumble type). Morgan ~ Morgan horses, Morgan Le Fay. Morgan just fit perfectly for her.

Tyr - took a long time to name him. I finally went to the library and looked through books on mythology. Nothing fit until I got to Norse and found Tyr. I just really liked it, liked Tyr's story.

Nyx - by the time I got her, I was pretty set in the mythology theme. Having two dogs named for war deities (and Morgan is nicknamed Morrigan, a war goddess), I didn't want another war goddess -- besides Nyx had so much spitfire, I didn't want to add to it with suggestive names. After much searching, I stumbled on Nyx and liked the sound of it and the story of Nyx.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Vixie: she looks like a little tiny red fox...and im obsessed with foxes lol

Dodger: got his name after multiple things whent missing out of my purse...one day i watched him...hes got a sticky muzzle and an addiction to money and shiney things...yup, little pickpocket (his full name is Artfull Dodger)

Ruby: truth be told, im not sure...she had alot of red in her when she came to me (which has since aged out for the most part) ruby was a temporary name that stuck!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Lord Cynical

Ilsa - Ilsa was supposed to be Cairo, but it instantly became apparent that it didn't suit her. She had these HUGE feet and legs, she reminded me of a big German Frau javelin thrower or something. I didn't originally want a German name for her (how cliche is that???) ... but she just had to have one. We toyed around with Heike, Elke, Fieke, Astrid... and somehow landed on Ilsa. My dad was the one who actually named her!

Ronin - his original name was Hugh. His second owners changed it to Hubert. Then he went back to his breeder and became Hugh again. I didn't like the name - I tried to get used to it, even thought about switching the spelling to Hue... but I couldn't get comfy with it. I felt like I was faking a sneeze when I'd say his name. I got him on the 4th of July, so I wanted to name him Roman (as in, Roman candle). But at the time, I was taking care of a dog named Rumor, and I thought Roman and Rumor were too similar. Soooo... it got altered slightly to Ronin. It was a perfect fit, I LOVE his name!

Ada - Ada got her name because we couldn't think of anything else. We'd originally been a "grow out" home for a show prospect, black dobergirl. She didn't have a name (other than her kennel name of Orange Girl, from her collar color) so we named her Ada Wong, after a character from a video game. When we got the corgi puppy... we liked the name so much that we kept it, but dropped off the "Wong".

Sekai - Might as well throw in the snake as well... I wasn't exactly in a happy place when I rescued Sekai. I hated my major, my job sucked, my health wasn't great, and my fiance lived 4 hours away - only got to see him once every few months. I really needed something positive in my life, so I rescued this cute little python and named him Sekai... which is a Zimbabwean word for "laughter".

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Top Dog

Lola...from the moment she was expelled from the womb the girl ran. She was busy, busy, busy all the time and when I thought I shouldn't, I put her out in the big yard and let her go. She ran so fast.

She beat her Daddy around the yard from the get go, but at the same time she was reserved, thoughtful and contemplated every issue that was put before her.

She reminded me of the German film, Run Lola Run...so that is what it ended up being with a call name of Lola. It still fits her to this day and I have no regrets.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Big Dog

LMAOF! TOO FUNNY... Deutcha Frau or as you state it German Frau javlen thrower.. THAT'S OFF THE WALL FUNNY! A good one I must give you that..: At least your father knows his dogs the name suits her..
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Agility Junkie

Lets see

Official: Wyndhorse Dust in the Wind Call: Ashe - dont know why and this was well before Ash Catchum and Pokemon

Official Tanglewoods Trade Secret Call Riley - named by his breeder, I at the time liked the name River for a blue merle but when he arrived he definately was not a River, with a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face he has lived the "life of Riley" ever since

Official - Wyndhorse Meg O' My Heart Call - Meg - My husband was currently recovering from a serious illness resulting in 5 surgeries in 30 days over Christmas and New Years also encompassing my 40th birthday a our daughters birthday to boot, in the end he ended up with a heart valve replacement. The following spring he started talking about getting involved in agility and wanted a pup of his own. We searched bc rescue and up popped Meg. Although she was not destined to be his agility partner but my daughters, she truly is Meg 'O his heart...also a play on the song Peg of my Heart from the 40's (I think)

Official: Wyndhorse Ona Whim & a Prayer Call - Whim Originally a Will while in rescue as a 10 wk old baby He was offered to me by my rescue groups director as I was looking for a young pup to bring along as a new agility partner. Driving home from work I thought about names....I really like the show 24 and thought Keifer? No...he was purchased more than likely on a whim ....himmmmm whim? YES!!! and again a play on words with the saying "On a wing and a prayer..."

Official -Orchard Hills Rush Limbaugh Call - Rush can I say ewwwwww but that was his name when we got him at 8 or 9 to be my daughters 1st agility partner. I always said we called him "Rush" because he never did LOL. He was a sweet patient big (22 inches) bc boy who taught my daughter to love agility as much as he loved her.

We also have a Mainecoone mix named Chaos...be careful what you name your pets LOL

Chauffer to Breanna 14 yr old daughter and Meg AAD 8yr BC

Gone but never to be forgotten:
Ashe 6/93-11/07 a boys best friend, beloved family member, agility partner
Rush 10/93-10/06 beloved pet, patient teacher, agility partner.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire!

Xander came from the shelter with his name... but he seemed PERFECTLY suited to me. My son's nicname was Xanderbutt (Alexander) and he was black and white like the dogs I was raised with, with a blue eye like the first dog I helped my mom train and he'd been picked up for shelter life the day of my then significant other's birthday. Cat was DESTINED for me.
Marzipan and Madeline also came with their names. I thought of changing them but then I saw Marzi and he was all sweet and looked to me like chocolate and white chocolate and caramel drizzle and I thought he looked like a desert... so Marzi stuck.
Madeline became shortened to Maddie because she's too goofy to be a Madeline which is WAY too prim and proper for this goofball girl.
Orion... was a big ball of white floof when I got him and I thought he looked like the Milky Way galaxy and I wanted something cosmic to go with his look. Then I thought about how full of himself he is (seriously, he is) and thought.. he's like a Greek god.... so cosmic and greek god.... Orion he became.
Amaya means "healing rain" in Japanese I believe.... though I honestly forget which language. She was so pretty and so dainty and seriously needed to heal and I needed to heal and I thought we could help each other.
Makana is Hawaiian for "gift" and I was originally going to give him to my mom who then said she didn't want a "long haired cat" or one that wasn't black and white... and so my lovely seal point boy stayed to be a gift in my life.
Maui was more full of himself and more trouble than his brother.... from DAY ONE. He had Orion's full of himself-edness and so I thought he needed to be named after a god and I wanted to keep the Hawaii theme. Maui is the Hawaiian demi-god who caught the racing sun and made it slow down so farming could occur. He marches to his own drummer and the world is expected to move at HIS pace. He's full of stories too... always talking to me about something.
Shye was just that.... SHY... wouldn't come see me as a puppy; wouldn't look at me; NOTHING... just terribly terribly timid. I spiced it up with the "e" on the end but he still earns his name.
River.... well I crossed four rivers to get him... and he was happy go lucky like a winding brook or stream. It suits him.... and then there's the "river" of white that runs up his face.

Thanks to Sizzledog for le Siggy D'AWESOME!
Abusing Animals and Feeding CRAP since.... ALWAYS!