Oh God, it's Everywhere!

Poor little Argon is having a very upset tummy. But, like everything else with Argon, it's in an odd way.
A little background. He started Raw last Tuesday and took to it like a duck to water. No runny poop, no throwing up, loved it. I felt so lucky.
Monday, he woke me up at 5 am to tell me he had had some very runny poop in the kitchen. As in all over the kitchen. Projectile. I could have cried, but I cleaned it up. Afterwards, he was fine. The rest of his poop was normal and he ate and drank normally that night.
Tuesday: Wakes me up to tell me he needs to go outside, RIGHT NOW! Projectile poop again. Fine later in the day.
Today: Repeat of yesterday.
What could be happening? He eats his meal at 1 pm, though I'm changing it to an hour later today. It suprises me that he would get the runs now, after a week on the diet, when he didnt' have any problems in the beginning. He's on chicken only, as I don't want to add another meat source while his tummy is already upset (though he thought the run over possum we found on our walk yesterday looked very yummy. No he didn't get even a mouthful.)
Should I give him something like sweet potato with his meal, even though the runny poop isn't showing up for more than 12 hours?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if giving him pumpkin would help. I'm trying to remember to Buddy's raw transition but I don't recall exactly. I've never had a problem giving pumpkin, though, even with new foods. Is he dehydrated at all?

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
What breed is your guy?

When my trainer took her GSD pup to a homeopathic vet; she said that the hardship with transferring the pup to raw (sae experience as yourself) was the pup lacked the digestive enzymes.

Homeopathic vet recommended; probiotics, non-vegetable based digestive enzymes (had to be special ordered - most you will find in the stores are plant based) and low fat in the meats.

Hope that gives you some ideas;

R

RedyreRottweilers

GET DIGESTIVE ENZYMES.

IMMEDIATELY. Go NOW to your health food store and get whatever they have for people, and get slippery elm powder.

Pumpkin is a good idea for bulk. But the Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics are what your pup needs right now. Forget yoghurt, there is not nearly enough.

Call Nature's Farmacy RIGHT NOW, and get them to rush you their digestive enhancer.

And say bye bye to runny poops and upset tummies.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Also, FWIW, if you are using chicken, that is the hardest meat for my dogs to do well on. It gives all of them more urps, burps, and the occasional loose stool, more than any other thing.

Ground chicken has proven to be much easier for them than whole pieces.

Dogs who are just starting raw are usually lacking in the gut flora they need to have a smooth transition to raw.

Order up. :D

M

MyHorseMyRules

I had the same problem with Raja when I first started her on raw. And since I couldn't get the enzymes right away, I switched to ground turkey instead of chicken. My problems disappeared.

ETA: I used ground turkey to start Tempie on raw, too. She had one slightly runny poo. That was it.

sprintime

Our vet always suggests fasting for 24 hours. Then we start them on boiled chicken breast and rice. You could add pumpkin, that always stops runs for most dogs.

cat13

I feed my dog only organic heart mince or organic chicken mince. Especially the chicken meat with all the hormones and antibiotics (well, that goes for every meat) isn't good for your dog. I also believe that dogs should have a balanced diet... so I feed my Staffy a mixture of BROWN rice, veggies, raw meat, bones and some organic dry food. For me the most important thing is that there is no wheat in the food. Lot's of dogs seem to be allergic but it is in almost every dog food you can buy.
Anyway - on that diet my dogs have always been happy, healthy and with shiny fur! :)
Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.