Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
In my experience, those dogs don't fill out as much and retain the narrow body and long leggedness of a much younger dog...some dogs also seem to keep a much younger mindset than those who were neutered later, though that one is kind of hard to concretely prove due to inherent differences in base personalities. I've also found that some early neuters have horrible absorption and digestive issues, though again, it could be the induvidual dog. But a friend of mine adopted a dog that was neutered at 6-8 weeks of age and went from a fat happy pup to a disturbingly emaciated adolescent who ended up having to be euth'd before he was a year old because it was impossible to put any weight on him and thus he had a very poor quality of life. We have the same vet and he is a very competent guy...none of us could figure out what was going on.
I'm not a vet but I wold say it depends on the dog...
I have always been against it because I was afraid it would change the personality of the dog. I have had a very dominant Pitbull for a long time and with my new dog I wanted to avoid all those issues. I got him neutered when he was 5 month old and I would say he is a very happy puppy. My other dog got testicular cancer at the age of nine . That was the other reason to get it over and done with early this time.
But I must say it was something I had to get used to - it looks quite odd at the beginning...
Old 01-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Valentino was neutered at 4months, he's 10months now and I haven't seen any problems.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
*Biter*

I will never alter a giant breed before they have finished maturing. There's too many (possible) things that are being (possibly) linked to juvenile alterings now and until studies have determined that it's NOT due to the loss of hormones, I'll wait. I can deal with a heat or two, a hiked leg or two, etc. Much easier to deal with than some of the (possible) alternatives, IMO.

There's several threads here about early spay/neuter that offer up this very discussion in depth with loads of info. One's even pinned above.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Top Dog

Charlotte, Daggett, and Reese were all spayed before they were 6 months. Jannah wasn't spayed until after a year (Since my mom bred her). And Jannah is very overweight, and doesn't eat anymore then the other girls.

I don't even know when Lucy was spayed, came spayed when I got her.