Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Top Dog

Default can dogs recognise dogs by their breed?

I have always wondered this and not believed it till recently. When I had a Boxer and used to walk her, there was always a lady with a Setter that said her dog didnt like Boxers so wouldnt play with Lexi, and I always kind of thought *yeah right*, but I have noticed with Phoebe, something similar happening. She has met up with two breeds of dogs that were very aggressive towards her, and whenever we see those breeds (not the actual dogs) now she gives them a wide berth? Do you think its possible, and have any of your dogs ever behaved in a similar way?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:17 AM
Top Dog

I don't see why it's not possible. A dog that has been kicked by someone who wears say, high heals, might develop a phobia of high-heels.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 AM
Kelpiefied

It's not general, but it does happen. My kelpie hates great danes, but she LOVES border collies. As soon as she sees a black and white dog she's off to meet them.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Are you dead yet?

My dog is cliquey. He will single out another Border Collie in a crowd and the two of them (Even if the other BC is snarky, he will convince them that he's the coolest dog around) will run off to play somewhere.

Dakota also does not like German Shepherds, because of the many times he has been attacked by them. He's not mean to GSDs, but he will avoid them whenever possible.
BUT here's the funny thing, we met a lady with a GSD and a Belgian Malinois, (at first glance i think the two look very similar) and he singled out the Mal to play with.

I definitely think that dogs can recognize others by their breed.