Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Default How to put a dog in a stack position

Belly will NOT stay still enough to do a stack! I want to practice this because I plan on showing her soon. She did stay still once, by accident lol. But now I can't figure out how to do it again. Can you guys help me out here? If I put the treat in front of her she'll either sit or jump for it lol.

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Snow Girl

Persistance. LOL Just keep at it with a treat in front of her nose and keep her belly up with your other hand. and reward her when she standing (whether or not it's a stack) so she gets used to standing when you tell her to. Once she gets used to the idea of standing you can start placing her feet and rewarding her until she moves ad then stop. She'll learn to stay very still. You could also invest in one of those stacker things...erm...forget what it's called. Basically four blocks, one for each paw, that get the dog used to standing in a stacked position because if they move their feet there's nothing to stand on.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 08-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Manchesters

Default No Food!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle_lovergirl
Belly will NOT stay still enough to do a stack! I want to practice this because I plan on showing her soon. She did stay still once, by accident lol. But now I can't figure out how to do it again. Can you guys help me out here? If I put the treat in front of her she'll either sit or jump for it lol.
Pick up the front end by the neck and chin and let it drop. Put your hand between hind legs, and let them drop. Make sure all four feet are square under the dog. OR, you can pick up both front and rear at the same time, and set her onto the table. Tell her STAND. It may take 100 times.....if so then that is what it will take.

After she is standing still on a table for a while, then you can put her on the floor with leash and collar (skinny show lead) and let her see the bait, but do not give her any until she stands still. Use your foot to either push her back away from you (gently, of course) and make her slowly walk toward you. When she is standing properly, then give her a piece of bait.

It is just a case of doing it over and over and over. Since you live where you do, there should be a dog club in your area, and many of them hold conformation training classes. Check with your vet, he may know a breeder in your neck of the woods, who would know about any training clubs.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Manchesters

Check this out. They have conformation classes starting Sept. 6th!
http://www.ccdtc.org/ And note...THIS time I remembered the link, rofl.