Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM
borzoimom borzoimom is offline
Couch Pototoe City
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,952
Exclamation Warning- Potpourri Poisoning

This is posted with permission


"We have suffered a terrible, terrible tragedy last Wed. Two, beloved Cavaliers of mine, Haley and Zoe both ate potpourri from a decorative basket in my Living room.

Within hours, they were vomiting it, convulsing and going into total body rigidity and shock. We took them to the after hours clinic, they had no idea what it could be and wouldn't listen to me about them vomiting potpourri at home and how I had such concerns about the toxic effects of it. They treated symptoms.

We transferred them to our day vet. He also wouldn't listen to me about the potpourri theory. He said they had "strychnine" poisoning symptoms. I kept telling him that the potpourri was Made In India, sold by a company in California and sold at my local WalMart. My heart told me that it was the culprit of their condition.

They declined rapidly throughout the day and we transferred them back to the after hours clinic for a second night. At midnight, I made the agonizing decision to put them to sleep. Haley was in constant seizures that wouldn't stop, fluid was filling up in her lungs, body temp was dropping on both of them, Zoe was lying almost lifeless on the table, struggling with every breath she took. Every muscle was completely rigid, you couldn't even move her.

I have devoted the last couple of days (now that I can get out of bed and function) to researching my concerns with the potpourri and have since found out I was right....... .....there is a lab in England that has case studies on toxic potpourri from India!! The toxin....strychnine , which in it's commercial source, comes from a certain tree grown in India . I am completely heart broken over this.

Please be aware of the potential toxins in any and all stuff like this in our homes. I would've never guessed this could happen but when I saw them both "playing" in the potpourri and then after about two hours saw the symptoms of a poisoning, I just put two and two together. Hug your babies, Love them and always take lots of photos along the way...it helps later on, trust me.

Karen Cantner, Heartland Kennels, Evansville , Indiana USA

Permission to cross post - should be unedited and sent in it's entirety with her contact info. "
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 AM
Domestika's Avatar
Domestika Domestika is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: B.C., Canada
Posts: 1,155
Default

Essential oils can be extremely toxic and I would expect essential oils would be used in something like potpourri.

So I would imagine that the potpourri would have been the toxin in this case. Not sure that it would have been strychnine. But either way, really sad.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Barb04's Avatar
Barb04 Barb04 is offline
Love my pets
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 27,026
Default

Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site