Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Aroooooo!

Default Breakthrough!!

Well I can now get the BOY dogs to eat the beef liver. If I sit there and slice up Kodys into small pieces, he eats it just fine. I think he just doesn't like picking it up, all slimy. Chance just eats the thing whole.

Bailey still won't touch hers but she LOVES beef heart. trouble is I couldnt ever find it anywhere.

A few people at work were talking about traditional mexican recipes and were talking about a grocery store here that is called Food City. (It's basically all ethnic food.)

WELL apparently, beef heart and beef liver is sold there! I couldn't find beef heart ANYwhere else, and apparently it's CHEAP too!

So now Bailey may FINALLY get the vitamin A and K she needs!

Yaaaaay!!!

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Just try me..

Mine get organ meat all ground up together. Seems to easier to eat that way (I think the slimy texture confounds some of them) Mine don't get organ meals too often.. but its the second favourite meal!! (the first being tripe)
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 PM
MyHorseMyRules

You might try leaving the liver about half-frozen. That's the only way I can get Raja to eat it, and it's easier than cutting it up. I'm not positive it will work. It may just be because Raja loves to eat ice. But you could try it.

Are there no butchers or taxidermists around you? Those are places you might find liver and heart if Food City doesn't work out.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Mine get organ meat all ground up together. Seems to easier to eat that way (I think the slimy texture confounds some of them) Mine don't get organ meals too often.. but its the second favourite meal!! (the first being tripe)
I haven't tried tripe for them, but I am sure it's at food city as well...

I want to give them organ meals more, all they get right now is chicken, turkey, and ground beef with raw eggs.

They also get chicken gizzards and hearts, and beef liver (except bailey) and beef heart when I can find it. I think getting the heart in there would keep a nice balance. They get bones daily though with the chicken or the turkey, but twice a week they get the ground beef with egg, but no bones, obviously.. because ground beef and eggs dont have bones.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
You might try leaving the liver about half-frozen. That's the only way I can get Raja to eat it, and it's easier than cutting it up. I'm not positive it will work. It may just be because Raja loves to eat ice. But you could try it.

Are there no butchers or taxidermists around you? Those are places you might find liver and heart if Food City doesn't work out.
I cant find any butchers, and none of the other grocery stores get any organs, they all come all cut up, they just trim them.

I have tried to do the half frozen thing before, but I either catch it too frozen or not frozen enough lol. And once Bailey sees what it is, she is DISinterested lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Just try me..

The tripe has to be green tripe.. not sure if they would sell it. But here's hoping.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
The tripe has to be green tripe.. not sure if they would sell it. But here's hoping.
lol we'll keep our fingers crossed. Where do you find it?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dogs3cats View Post
I haven't tried tripe for them, but I am sure it's at food city as well...

I want to give them organ meals more, all they get right now is chicken, turkey, and ground beef with raw eggs.

They also get chicken gizzards and hearts, and beef liver (except bailey) and beef heart when I can find it. I think getting the heart in there would keep a nice balance. They get bones daily though with the chicken or the turkey, but twice a week they get the ground beef with egg, but no bones, obviously.. because ground beef and eggs dont have bones.
I doubt they will sell green tripe because I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to, as it's not for human consumption. It took me forever to find a place that sold it around here, and that place was a business that actually sold raw food for dogs. If it weren't for them, I would have had to buy it on the internet, which is what you might have to do.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Aroooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
I doubt they will sell green tripe because I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to, as it's not for human consumption. It took me forever to find a place that sold it around here, and that place was a business that actually sold raw food for dogs. If it weren't for them, I would have had to buy it on the internet, which is what you might have to do.
ahhh gotcha. So humans dont eat green tripe. is that because it comes from a different part of the stomach or a different stomach where the grass is or something? or am I wrong?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this:
It hasn't been cleaned. The reason it's green is that all the digested grass and stuff is still in there. You can find tripe in the stores for people, but you'll notice it is all white because it has been cleaned out. And the reason to feed green tripe is the grass and whatnot.