Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Bailey's Pet

Question Confused...

I'm just a little confused ... I have a Staffordshire Terrier mix, at least that is what the Humane Society told me. Everyone asks if Bailey is a Pit bull, and my natural response is no he's a Staffy. Then they tell me thay are the same.

Can anyone give me a solid answer and proof either way. I just want to know what my response should be. I've been denied home owners insurance over this...

Old 12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Many people see a staffie and automatically think pit...it happens to SBT owners everywhere I'm sure. Going to bed now but I'm sure someone else will post some good links. Don't worry, they are not the same at all.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:55 PM
Felurian

Sadly, most any insurance company that is going to deny you for a Pit is going to deny you for an AmStaff. I got cancelled by Indiana General Insurance for having Bimmer - a German Shepherd mix!

An American Staffordshire Terrier is NOT the same breed as a Pit Bull, although there is quite a bit of resemblance. But, it's highly unlikely that the Humane Society is doing any more than making a good guess at Bailey's ancestry unless they just happen to be personally acquainted with her parents. Most Humane Society staff is reluctant to label a dog as a Pit Bull because of all the negative connotations. It makes it too difficult to find good homes for them. Far too many of the people who come into a shelter wanting a Pit dog want one for all the wrong reasons.

From the photo in your avatar, though, Bailey does look more like an AmStaff. I really don't think she has the look of a Pit at all. If I were you, I'd just correct people and tell them that "no, Bailey is an AmStaff" and leave it at that.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Active Pup

Default :)

I knew a staffy once, mgosh they are so cute!