Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Default vaccination question

My dogs all recently got updated on their vaccinations. 2 of my dogs have a lump in their scruff. Anybody ever had this happen b4? I am calling my vet tomorrow. But I just thought I would ask.

Mandie
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Show Dog

This is very common. It is a reaction at the injection site. Message the lump daily. It will take about a week for it to go away. Just make sure to watch for any kind of abcess. If the lump get squishy, larger, or feels inflamed, have it checked by your vet. Some dogs seem to be more sensitive than others. I wouldn't panic, but if it would make you feel better, have your vet check them out. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

ty! my vet said the same! I was just really concerned b/c I recently had one of my rescue cats leg amputated (nerve damage) and I learned that one of the major causes of leg amputations in cats is from a bad reaction to vaccinations. So I was just worried about my babies. TY for your reply.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Show Dog

No problem. I have done all my own vaccinations for years on the dogs and the horses. Most of the time there is no reaction, but occasionally you will see the kind of lump that you are describing.

I used to do all my equine vacs in the rump until I caused an abcess in my thoroughbred gelding. He now has a 3 inch divot in his butt muscle. Ever since then I do IM injections on the horses in the neck and I make very sure that the area is clean.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, and your dog. You are his life, his love, and his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion....." Author Unknown
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

We recieved a goat last summer that was in a coma (we do all animal rescue) she had been for a month. and I began to give her large amounts of Vit B complex. (she had polio) and we had to give so many shots that we finally were unable to give any shots b/c they ALL came back out. that was over a months worth of several shots a day. I am not sure if her walking is a miracle since the vet said she never would..or the fact that she got sick of me giving her shots

I am just dreading vaccinating our new horse. Its going to be an adventure to be sure! but I will take your advice and not give any rump shots

Buddies is really small today . Loves has shrunken to, just not as much as Buddies did.