Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Active Pup

Thanks again for your replies,
renee750il- Terriers are fun dogs and I've been around a few in the past, but aren't they prone to disliking other (furry) animals? I was considering having a cat as well as a dog, so cat-aggression would definately be a deal-breaker.

redhotdobe-
Thanks for your post, I really like dobes and my main concern about getting one would be whether it would be able to stay home alone while I'm at work, so the fact that your "velcro" dobe is ok when you're at work is good news for me. I do have two more questions about dobes though that I haven't found much info on...

Do they tend to bark a lot, like constant barking? or are they generally quiet and bark just to alarm you when there's someone/something near your house etc?
Would a first-time dobe owner (and someone who has had limited dog experience) be better off with a rescued adult or raising a puppy?

Thanks again for your help!
Artstudent
Old 10-25-2004, 08:01 PM
aka RedHotBabe

Quote:
Do they tend to bark a lot, like constant barking? or are they generally quiet and bark just to alarm you when there's someone/something near your house etc?
Compared to all the barking I hear while I'm outside, I'd consider Duke a mild barker. He usually barks at the doorbell, almost always barks when he sees someone outside, and goes nuts when there's someone on his property that he doesn't know. There was the time where he was barking at every window and door, which completely freaked me out, but that was probably the most he barked at one time. I'd describe him as a mild barker, and an avid whiner. When compared to other Dobermans though, he'd probably rank in the middle somewhere. They aren't nearly as noisy as some of the other breeds.

Quote:
Would a first-time dobe owner (and someone who has had limited dog experience) be better off with a rescued adult or raising a puppy?
Now that's something you would have to decide. I got a rescue, and I can tell you that I do have limited dog experience. I would personally say get a rescue. Puppies need a lot more time than an adult dog. There is a picture that someone took of a Dobe pup, out of his crate, with only one ear still posted, and the background is a disaster. It seems to me that most people that get a puppy, do have some previous dog experience. Rescue would definitely be a good option. You could do a search on www.petfinder.com to find some available Dobes in your area.

And if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer them.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:36 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artstudent
Thanks again for your replies,
renee750il- Terriers are fun dogs and I've been around a few in the past, but aren't they prone to disliking other (furry) animals? I was considering having a cat as well as a dog, so cat-aggression would definately be a deal-breaker.
I never had a problem with my Terriers and my cats; everyone understood who was "family" and who wasn't, and it probably helped that my cats were rather large and enormously self-confident (lol). And it probably helped that even at four years old when I got my first Terrier, I was more stubborn than the Terrier.

But my sister's Jack Russell gets along well with her very temperamental cat, and after my Mom chewed him our for chasing her tiny little Gracie cat (she kept him for about a year and a half), he left Gracie alone, except for trying to get her to play with him - to no avail. Gracie holds a real grudge.

Redhotdobe's given you some good advice. I'll second her vote on rescuing an adult Dobe. A good breed rescue will put good effort into matching you with the right dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Puppy Dog

I agree about Cane Corsos perhaps not being a great first dog. I used to live with one. She did not take kindly to strangers, especially if they tried to give her commands. She wasn't very clear when giving warning signals so it could be difficult to judge her mood at first. Canes (and other Mastiff breeds) can adopt the role as the dominant one if you should leave the room, so if you have friends round it's a good idea to take the dog with you. Saying this they are an excellent breed, but only consider getting one if you know what you are taking on, and have someone that can give you full support if you should need it.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Felurian

I personally haven't had a problem with the Terriers I've dealt with and cats together, but then, I used to have a Terrier, a 20 pound Mutt of Indeterminate Origins, a German Shepherd, a ginger Tom, two white ducks and two banty hens and a rooster - and they all got along famously. So far I haven't had the issues with animals getting along together that other people seem to have. But my animals have probably decided it's just better to humor me; me being so stubborn and all . . . ROFL!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
an5gel99

U should get a Chichua or a daushaund or even an italian grey hound