Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Too much fish?

If I'm feeding my dog a fish-based dry food, would it be overdoing it if I also give some fresh cooked fish? My dog is on a rotation diet and gets home-cooked food in addition to Addiction Salmon Bleu dry food. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Yorkie Love

My dogs also get a fish based Food and I sometimes give them cooked fish.

I wouldnt do it everyday but as an occasional treat I dont see the problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I would be careful giving your dog too much fish. The dioxins in fish are extremly high. Do you know is the fish used in the dry food wild or farm raised. If I were giving a fish based food I would give my dog chicken as a supplement and i would give it raw.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Big Dog

Fish diet can be healthy,I myself feed my dogs mostly fish.Cuz fish has Oils that helps their skin to be smooth.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

Too much fish is not a good diet for anyone. This is a good article there are plently more out there to read too.http://http://environmentalchemistry...attyacids.html

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks! I initially thought lots of fish, especially salmon, was good cos of the benefits of omega and all that. Its definitely farm-raised. My dog gets mostly beef in addition to fish, so I think I'll cut adjust to give less cooked fish. I'v read about raw so many times but I'm not really ready to switch to a raw diet completely. I've heard raw chicken is a good way to start so I might start doing that soon! I know pacific salmon can contain lethal mercury levels and the fish I buy is definitely not from there so I'm pretty safe.