Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Puppy Dog

thank you for the advice, i thought that it m ay have been too heavy but i wasnt sure cuz he has a lot of power in him still lol
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Yes, I agree with Lizzy. You need to start with something small, that they actually just drag around and get used to something behind them. I'm not sure what kind of climate you are in, they should only be pulling in 40 degrees or less. Believe me, I'm not a professional dog sledder, I'm just learning for the fun of it. There is probably some good info on the web on how to start. First it looks like you'll have to get him used to the harness. lol Distract him from the fact he has it on by just playing with him wearing it. Also you can use treats when putting on and taking off. (It took me 6 months for my on Sibe not to bite my hands while putting it on) Then it becomes no big deal. Then move to the next level of adding the line with a small log or something that is heavy enough to stay to the ground and not hit him, but not so much that he's straining to pull it.

Out of my 5 dogs, I have 2 that are naturals, couldn't get enough of it. Are super easy to train. One that will do it, one that tolerates it, and one that just fights all the way.

It is only a suggestions as that's what I've done with mine. It may work, it may not work. lol But it's fun just to try.

Here's another place to google: sled dog central. I think that's the name of it.

Sorry if that sounded misleading that you could just hook him up and he would go. I wasn't thinking about all the baby steps involved. I was just trying to give you some ideas of different things to do with him.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Puppy Dog

well ithought that there would be baby steps involved, i just kinda figured that these were all things that i had in my immediate area when i had time to try the idea with him, and yes it is cold here, for the past week its been about 25 degrees on average without the wind chill (here in nj its unusualy cold for this time of year) i will also have to think of what else i have inthis area that i can try him with, he used to walk with this harness on and didnt mind it, but now when he gets really excited then he doesnt like to have it on lol, i dont know what else i can do to tire him out, he loooovvveeessssss to run, i play with him in the backyard and all he'll do for 20 minutes is run at full sprint, and i'll get way tired out before him lol so i assumed that maybe he would like to try to pull something.....ive had him pull me ont he skateboard before, but he seems to get scared by the sound of the skateboard and runs nearly uncontrollably and as soon as he saw the yard he instantly sprinted right into the yard and pulled me off the skateboard and into the yard with him lol so i odnt know if i shold try to get him used to the skateboard?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

You could certainly try the skateboard. I'd start off by having him walk next to it and giving lots of treats until he gets comfortable around it. Then put a little bit of your weight on the harness (so he's pulling a little, not your entire weight), and gradually add weight until he's pulling all your weight. You could also teach him to pull a scooter (much easier for you to steer), or a bicycle, or just have him run next to you while you ride your bike. You could also get a dog backpack, and put a little bit of weight in it at first (about a pound) and work up to putting a few pounds of weight in it to help tire him out.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Puppy Dog

i thought about the doggy back pack...id ont know ohw much they run though and right now im out of work....i have the skateboard laying aroudn in my basement and the bike outside, i used to ride him on the bike but he seems to have gotten a bit afraid of it, plus its hard to control him when he sees another dog, he doesnt quite stay in the zone of running forward