Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I'd also make potty time boring. Walk to one area, give him the opportunity to go, and if he doesn't at least start sniffing around withing about 2 minutes? Back inside. Don't talk to him, don't interact- and if you can manage to find a boring spot (like a corner of a fence or something where ther'es not even anything to LOOK at and not much traffic so no new smells), that'd be ideal. Inside with toys, even without people interaction, should be preferrable. :P
Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the boredom aspect.

The other two areas to keep in mind are:

1. If you do any treating or feeding (or any other rewarding behavior for that matter - and relief of boredom is also rewarding) connected with going outside and/or relieving themselves, many dogs can make the connection of the behavior chain and ask to go out to get the reward.

2. Leaders direct the activities. A possible social dynamic may be at work here. Does your dog initiate any other activities which you respond to? An example would be coming up to you and giving a "sit, which you did not ask for, but rewarded anyway.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM
woop

Oh great advice, I do have a habit of praising for toileting. It was something that got ingrained in me when I was housebreaking him as a puppy and I never weaned myself from it.

As for inside behaviours, he doesn't really do anything at work but sleep and whine at the door. He's pretty good at ignoring everyone.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

HOnestly i don't think it is lying. I think they have learned to ask to go out. THat to them means OUTSIDE to us means to relieve themselves. Watch and see what your dog's normal schedule is, after drinking a lot, a few minutes after eating, when waking from a sound sleep. THen you will be able to seperate the need to relieve from the bored as heck and want to go out. MOst dogs follow some regularity. IF you think it is a false alarm you can try to distract. IF the dog is persistant then there probably really is a need.

IF you were to follow a schedule of outs as well the dog would learn to time them, know when your going to say yes and will be less likely to insist on running the show. EVery 2 hours for a young dog is fair. Earlier for a puppy. AT least 4 for the dog of adverage age.

A good hard run before you go to work will insure a long morning rest and an easier day.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
woop

I'm almost certain Pit only really NEEDS to go 3 times a day. When we're home on the weekend, he'll ask to go out two or three times and that's it, but I'll take him out for 4 just to be sure. It's just at work where he's at the door every hour at least. When he was a pup, I had him out on an hourly schedule and would definitely believe him if he ever whined to go out in between scheduled breaks, but now that he's over a year and a half, I think it's safe to say he doesn't need to go out that often unless he has an upset stomach or something.

We just got to work today and he's already hollowed out all the frozen ground beef from a kong I prepared last night Piggy. That gave me a nice 30 miuntes of quiet, though. He's at the door right now with his face crammed into the corner, mooing for anyone to open it.

Should I take him out because he's asking and just keep it super boring and go back inside after 2 minutes of standing there? Or should I keep to the potty schedule only?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

IF it were me i would stay to the schedule. IF Victor is desperate enough that he really has to go he gets pretty pacey, whiney. Usally a GO LAY DOWN will work or a redirect to a toy if it's boredom. But if he really has to go, he becomes truly insistant. I can tell the difference. Pepper is already doing teh bored mama routine. But if she has to pot she will shiver, it's a given that i hussle her out the door if that is the case. Mary has potted on the same schedule without fail unless she has a "problem". IF your dog gets too insistant, then the need to go is probably the real reason. All the dogs i have come in contact with really want to do right. Once they figure out that nagging gets them nowhere they knock it off.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,