Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-14-2004, 05:28 AM
Puppy Dog

Question Dogs and New Born Babies

Good morning, everyone! I have a question that bothers me some. Dogs seem to act jelous sometimes, when the attention moves away from them to some other living object. Now... let's say a young family like me would want to have a baby. How to keep the baby safe? I heard all kind of scary stories when the dog would kill the baby out of jelousy...How will the baby effect the dog? How to keep the dog comfortable and not getting jelous??? Any ideas?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Felurian

Most dogs, particularly the large working breeds, are very protective of "their babies." Just make sure your dog gets plenty of attention. If your dog is allowed on the sofa, invite your dog up next to you when you're holding the baby, make an effort to introduce the dog to the new addition, and please, please, please, as the child gets older, teach it to respect animals. No teasing, no rough play, no tail, ear or hair pulling.

And it's always a good idea to supervise children with any kind of pet - no, make that it's imperative to supervise children with any kind of pet!

Did you know that it's been found that children raised with dogs and cats have fewer allergies and respiratory problems?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il

Did you know that it's been found that children raised with dogs and cats have fewer allergies and respiratory problems?
Really? That's an interesting information. Any ideas why it is so?