Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Default Switching from Iams to....?

I've been on the hunt for a new dog food. Per my mom's purchase, they've been on Iams Proactive Health for quite some time now. Jag is also getting rather chunky, so I need to look at something low-cal/low-fat. Some health info:

Jag: 6 years old, Papillion/Basset Hound/? mix, bad allergies (no known food allergies, just outdoor allergies), overweight, sporadic in his energy. Recently not very energetic. Bad teeth.
Chester: Somewhere between 1 and 4 (one vet said around 1, and today another one said 3 or 4). Pug/Chihuahua/? mix, good/slightly underweight, VERY VERY energetic, good teeth.

So, as you can see I have some different needs. I'd rather not have to feed them different food(s); I was planning on just giving Chester more. I got some recommendations from other people (who also recommended I come here ), and I got it narrowed down to these. Which, or which combination, would you choose? (And yes, I know to gradually introduce it)

For reference, Iams Proactive analysis

Canidae All Life Stages (only one of this brand available)
California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato
California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice
California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Low Fat (possibly combine somehow with Blue Buffalo Wilderness?)
Blue Buffalo Organic
Blue Buffalo Wilderness (combined with something, maybe the California Low Fat?)
Blue Buffalo Fish & Sweet Potato
Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice

I apologize for the long list; I don't know anything about dog food, and I want to make sure I get what's best for them!